Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    In my search for information on Processing Speed which was prompted in another thread, I found an article which quoted the "F.A.T. City" video by Richard Lavoie which was put out by PBS some years ago.

I wanted to learn more. Full title is "How difficult can this be? The F.A.T. City Workshop: Understanding Learning Disabilities". It gets rave reviews as MUST SEE material for teachers and parents. (FAT City is for the Frustration, Anxiety, Tension of living with learning disabilities.)

Has anyone here watched this?

Editorial review on Amazon says: This unique program lets viewers experience the frustration, anxiety, and tension faced by children with learning disabilities. Workshop facilitator Richard Lavoie presents a series of striking simulations emulating daily experience of LD children. Teachers, social workers, and parents, workshop participants, reflect upon how the workshop changed their approach to LD children. Includes discussion of mainstreaming discipline and self-concept.

Reviewers say the disabilities simulated are: "experiences dealing with processing problems, memory problems, perceptual differences, motor function problems, reading problems, and behavioral challenges".

Out of 61 reviews all are raves about how life changing it is and there are no negative reviews regarding content. (A small few complain about sound quality.)

Last edited by HappilyMom; 10/11/13 12:01 PM.
    E
    E
    I have not watched it, but in my own internet meanderings based on the same thread, I came across references to it, and also to his book, It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend (which is currently on my library hold list). The video was also available at the library, but I was going to start with the book. I'll report back here once I've looked at it.

S
    S
    There are some segments posted on YouTube, along with what looks like the whole thing (about 80 minutes of video).

A processing speed excerpt is here:

At first glance it is not sexy (looks like it dates back to a time when *I* was still in grade school) but the content seems good.

Look at related videos to find more. There are also excerpts from It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend.

Thanks for posting about this resource, I think I am going to be throwing some money to PBS.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks!

Our library only has the sequel video Beyond FAT City, a look back, a look ahead

and the book:

The motivation breakthrough : 6 secrets to turning on the tuned-out child

The 2nd video does not seem to include the provoking simulations that the 1st has.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Ooh!! Yes Youtube! Thanks! Heading there now. Yeah I knew to expect it to be "old" but sounded like it might be invaluable regardless.

S
    S
    OK, the visual perception activity was fantastic. Watching that SpEd teacher go through the grinder was just amazing, and the reaction of the class at the end was priceless. I am ordering!

Last edited by SiaSL; 10/11/13 01:02 PM.
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Me too!

My DS6 and I discussed and he agrees that he does have to process the question first before he can process the answer... he says teachers do tell him, "just do it", "Just try", etc when he is already doing so and that they often try to give him MORE information about how to do it when he is still processing the original information which frustrates him and makes him need longer to answer. I, too, have been guilty of this, thinking his delay is about not knowing how to answer instead of realizing he needs more time, not more information.

I also really like the "Fairness" discussion here:

"Fairness is not about giving everyone the same thing. It's about giving every child what he or she needs."

"The one answer I won't accept is 'I can't do that because it wouldn't be fair to the other children'. It's got nothing to do with the other children."

I am EXCITED about getting this DVD!! And that there are YouTube links that could be easily shared with others. smile

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Lavoie also has one on Learning Disabilities and Discipline that interests me:

"When the Chips Are Down" (DVD)

Item description

Do you ever have days when the kids seem totally out of control? Do you find yourself falling into the same pointless arguments with your students or your children?

Host Richard Lavoie, nationally known expert on learning disabilities, offers practical advice on dealing with behavioral problems quickly and effectively. He shows how preventative discipline can anticipate many problems before they start. He also explains how teachers and parents can create a stable, predictable environment in which children with learning disabilities can flourish.

Available in DVD format.

Running Time: 62 minutes

About the Author

Richard D. Lavoie, M.A., M.Ed. is a nationally-known expert on learning disabilities. He has worked in special education since 1972, as a teacher, administrator, author, and consultant. He holds three degrees in Special Education and has served as an adjunct professor or visiting lecturer at numerous universities including Syracuse, Harvard, Gallaudet, Manhattanville College, University of Alabama and Georgetown. His numerous national television appearances include CBS Morning Show, Good Morning America, ABC Evening News and Disney Channel Presents.

Rick serves as a consultant on learning disabilities to several agencies and organizations including Public Broadcasting Service, New York Times, National Center for Learning Disabilities, Girl Scouts of America, Child Magazine and WETA. He is a member of the Professional Advisor Board of the Learning Disabilities Association.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM