Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Irena #170473 10/07/13 09:08 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Epoh, I feel your pain. My DS was shown trick after trick - still reverses. IMHO, one doesn't have the IQ my son has and yet not be able to remember which way "d" goes unless something is wrong. He took some test (twice now I believe) and it showed he can not even "see" reversals (which makes me wonder - how does he read exactly if backwards letters look the same as proper ones? LOL), i.e., he can not pick them out at all. My guy has dysgraphia, no doubt, but the school will sit and tell me reversals are normal... last year (when he was in first) they told me reversals are normal through the end of first grade. Today they told me reversals are normal through the end of 2nd (he's in second) ... Next year I am thinking they'll say reversals are normal through third grade. LOL. The school psych said she "can see the dysgraphia concern" but can't call it that b/c schools don't recognize it, and she can't diagnose - she shies away from coming out saying "yes your guy has dysgraphia." The neuropsych said dysgraphia is really obvious and you need a diagnosis of "developmental coordination disorder affecting handwriting" to get the school to recognize it. It doesn't matter to me anymore because he types most of his work now and gets accommodations that he would/should get for dysgraphia through his EDS diagnosis and he is getting OT .... I am not even bothering with yet another Dx on his school record. It is a slight problem in math b/c he reverses all of his numbers (and sometimes writes his 9 as a 6). But the teachers seem use to him and do not mark him off for it usually. I am 95% positive my husband is dysgraphic (only 95% b/c he was never assessed or dx with it) as well and there is a genetic component.

Is it possible your DD is dysgraphic?

I am not as sure about my DS and dyslexia. I can't remember - has your DD been checked for vision by a COVD developmental optometrist http://www.covd.org/ ? My DS has something called strabismus (eyes crossing in) and it causes him visual processing issues. I have had him assessed a few times now by school psych (she's a good psych imo and a PhD), regular psych, and neuropsych and all say he is not dyslexic ... the neuropsych says the red flags I see are visual processing deficits. I am still not sure I buy it. He loves to be read to but, until very recently, would literally run and hide when it was time for him to read. He gets vision therapy. I have noticed since his vision therapy, his reading has really sky rocketed. I also had him read with a "tuboloo" over the summer (at the suggestion of his private OT) and he continued improved greatly (not sure if it were the tubaloo or just normal development but the two definitely coincided). I also had him do a special OT therapy over the summer and the director of that takes some credit for his reading improvement in that she told me she did some intense crossing midline exercises with him that are basic to reading and tracking skills. Again no idea if it really helped ... but there is a correlation.

So, today I met with the school and they were like "he reads so fluently and has such high comprehension these diebels scores are really nothing to worry about." They also said the same thing others indicated here that it's almost like once the child is so fluent they do worse on the nonsense word stuff. They agreed visual processing is playing a role as well. Of course, I don't entirely trust the school either. But I felt better. They see no issues with his reading he's at such a high level for his grade. I have noticed he reads signs as drive around. I have to be careful now when I am typing messages or posting even as if he is walking by he'll stop and read quickly over my shoulder. I have to say this gives me comfort b/c I know two women with dyslexia and both have trouble driving b/c they can not read signs fast enough, etc. But perhaps they are just more severe.

HTH

Irena #170476 10/07/13 09:17 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Also - do you have a Scottish rite close to you? They are wonderful for treating dyslexia I have heard. They are also free of cost. I know some test for free (the one nearish me does not but will look at tests and make a determination if your child would be a god fit for the intervention). Perhaps look into that... I have heard fabulous things about them.

epoh #170478 10/07/13 09:20 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by epoh
    I also have noticed that she guesses at words when reading based on context/pictures, and she memorizes whole words instead of reading them phonetically. Her reading level is always assessed at a bit above whatever level they are meant to be at, but her ability to comprehend stories read to her is waaaay beyond what she's capable of reading. She avoids reading if at all possible, as well. I don't know... I feel like there's something going on.

This is my son as well.

Irena #170499 10/07/13 10:51 AM
    22B Offline
    It should be easy to find DIBELS sample tests online. Just test your DS yourself to get a better idea what's going on.

Irena #170502 10/07/13 11:09 AM
    I don't think my DD has dysgraphia... her letter reversals are quite neat, actually. lol. She is an excellent drawer and doesn't really have any issues with numbers (although she will occasionally draw a number backwards, but that's gotten more and more infrequent.)

She's only ever had her vision checked by the nurse at the ped's office and the school nurse. But an actual optometrist will be on my list when we start doing testing. Her ability to handle very small things (like legos or barbie stuff) leads to believe her vision is okay, but maybe there's a tracking problem?

ETA: My poor DD also suffers a bit from being the younger sister to DS9... his PDD-NOS and anxiety tend to draw so much of our attention and patience (and paycheck!) it's hard to place something like a hunch about dyslexia or a vision problem super high up on my list! If she was an only child I'd probably have taken her to an optometrist already!

Last edited by epoh; 10/07/13 11:11 AM.

~amy
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM