Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    I am waiting for conferences, where hopefully we'll finally see some current test results and obtain some more information about what is planned... I really just hope we can come up with a great plan for him at conferences.
    Hope is great, but teachers cannot read minds and may not know what you are expecting or hoping for, unless there is planning and communication. Some districts encourage parents to prepare well for the notoriously brief parent-teacher conferences. The Davidson Database (http://www.davidsongifted.org/) lists several resources for "parent teacher conference", including:
    1) http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10296.aspx
    2) http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Resources_id_12628.aspx
    3) http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10286.aspx
    4) http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10050.aspx

B
    OP Offline
    B
    deleted

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Lending support. Waiting for differentiation in our district, too - I notice from earlier threads that you are having some similar concerns with your DC.

DD8 finally was split into math/reading groups within the last week or so, but curriculum still seems easier than it did during the previous grade. Gifted process for program that is not available until this year is still incomplete - seems to take forever. No accelerated math available until next year. Since there are no textbooks that come home, I have no idea where the curriculum is going - there may be great plans in the works, but I have no good, ol' fashioned textbooks to see what is coming up. wink I am waiting for conferences, where hopefully we'll finally see some current test results and obtain some more information about what is planned.

DS5 loves his kindergarten teacher (because DS is shy - this is big), but is still working on letter sounds and counting at school. Seems there is no differentiation there at all. At home, he is reading chapter books and is working on Singapore Math - next year, he will be in school all day and I will have much less time to enrich him at home. I would really like it if he could do some of this learning at school. I am thrilled that he loves his teacher, though - I really just hope we can come up with a great plan for him at conferences.

Was just talking to sister-in-law who has kids in another district. We are actually lucky. Budget cuts are hurting the gifted programs in some grades. SIL's district just cut the 2nd grade gifted (that her DS would have been in frown ). Her older son, who excels in math, is actually driven to the school that houses the next grade's math program, though (district pays for a taxi!). So it is always interesting to hear what other districts are doing. Some better, some not.

Hoping good things for you this year with your DC...

Thank you. Strangely, the district isn't really talking about cutting it. I think since they have one of the only GATE programs in the metro area, it attracts students from other districts and they save money getting students from open enrollment/other districts. Meanwhile they are talking about going to 4 day school weeks (sounds like a disaster), cutting busing for most kids, cutting the music program, etc. All the focus for elem. though seems to be on GATE for 4th-6th and the tiny amount of students who qualify. I would be curious as to how many even come from our district and how many are open enrolling from others--probably makes it even more impossible to get in when my kids are competing with kids from other districts.

Both DS's and DD's teachers knew right from the start what they are dealing with, so it's incomprehensible to me that after 6 weeks, there are not even attempts at giving leveled work. When I wrote a very polite email to DS's teacher asking what I can do to help (for instance sending in a workbook), I got a one sentence reply saying she's working on it. DD says that another girl in her class (who is also in the cluster) works ahead in her math workbook and actually gets into trouble! She's expected to help other kids when she's done with her work. Her parents are disgusted as well. I will try to go to the upcoming conferences with an open mind, but don't really expect to hear any detailed plan and don't know how pushy to get.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    Just to clear up any misunderstandings, it's not the Weschler IQ test that she's talking about doing, it's the Weschler non-verbal ability test.
    Thanks for pointing this out and sharing the link.

I actually just want DD to take the WISC IV and if it turns out she does horrid in terms of working memory and processing speed because of the ADHD, for purposes of gifted identification, they can separate those out and use the GAI.
    Interesting. What questions might this bring to mind for a discussion with the school... ? Here are some possibilities, no doubt you will think of better questions as you know your daughter's situation best.
    1) Does the school or district accept outside test results? Under what circumstances?
    2) If there is special scoring/accommodation for the gifted identification test, would this indicate that accommodation would be needed in the classroom?
    3) Can she be identified as 2e/LD to receive accommodation in the classroom?
    4) If accommodation is provided due to LD identification, can she keep up with the pace of the gen ed classes? If accommodation is provided due to 2e identification, can she keep up the pace of the gifted classes?

I
    I
    I will try to go to the upcoming conferences with an open mind, but don't really expect to hear any detailed plan and don't know how pushy to get.
    Some districts encourage parents to prepare well for the notoriously brief parent-teacher conferences. The Davidson Database (http://www.davidsongifted.org/) lists several resources for "parent teacher conference", including:
    4) http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10050.aspx

B
    OP Offline
    B
    These are things I need to ask the current classroom teacher about, then go from there. We switched her meds over the summer and I really don't have the foggiest idea of how she's functioning at school. On day 3 I emailed the teacher (in case we need to adjust the meds) and the teacher said she's doing wonderfully and completing work fast (vs. the last week of school last year the teacher said she was doing horribly and couldn't complete the simplest of things). Whether DD will start to flounder in a GATE program, I don't know, but I imagine at that time we would need to write a 504 and reduce the workload or allow her extra time for assignments or exams. I wouldn't mind getting her a 504 now, but the school wants to see kids already failing before they consider that.

Last edited by blackcat; 10/06/13 06:52 PM.
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by indigo
    [quote=Loy58] I am waiting for conferences, where hopefully we'll finally see some current test results and obtain some more information about what is planned... I really just hope we can come up with a great plan for him at conferences.
    Hope is great, but teachers cannot read minds and may not know what you are expecting or hoping for, unless there is planning and communication. Some districts encourage parents to prepare well for the notoriously brief parent-teacher conferences. The Davidson Database (http://www.davidsongifted.org/) lists several resources for "parent teacher conference", including:

Thanks - sorry, had discussed this in more detail in previous thread with blackcat. We certainly do not expect teachers to be mind readers, but in our district, testing data seems to be slowly and reluctantly shared with parents (4th year in district, and this is my strong impression). In our case, we will probably have little current data about students until we arrive at conferences (DS told us he was assessed in reading, but this has not been shared with us by the school. For DD, fall NWEA scores and a myriad of other end of last year, beginning of this year assessments have still not been shared with parents - I would love to have had these well before conferences), which makes preparation difficult. We have definitely been communicating with the teacher by her preferred method (very brief weekly notes)- but that is pretty limited. I actually did specifically ask for NWEA scores and was told they would be available - at conferences - which, in my opinion, makes preparing a challenge. Actually, last year, parents were not given NWEA scores - I had to ask, gently push, and then finally meet with the principal to get DD's NWEA scores. The plan THIS winter is actually also to forgo sharing NWEA results with parents, because we were told "these are just for teachers" (I actually plan to ask for those - wish me luck!). We say "hope" because we are trying to remain optimistic and cooperative, not because we have not wished to have more information. wink

I
    I
    These are things I need to ask the current classroom teacher about, then go from there.
    Is the classroom teacher the best source of information for school board policies on admissibility of outside tests? In some districts, that might be the Central Administration Office and/or posted policies which parents may research on the district website. Similarly, the classroom teacher may not be the best source of information regarding any special scoring/accommodation for the gifted identification test, and how that may indicate any potential accommodation would be needed in the classroom; In some schools that may be the school psych? Similar with decisions on 2e/LD identification?

I mention this proactively to possibly avoid a situation of someone being put on the spot, and you feeling uncomfortable as a parent if your questions are misdirected and therefore may seem to take more "push" from you than you might think is normal or necessary, to receive answers.

Did you mention working in a school? How would these matters be handled there? Are there some you might tap in your school for background information? Might your daughter transfer to your school as one option?

We switched her meds over the summer... teacher said she's doing wonderfully and completing work fast (vs. the last week of school last year the teacher said she was doing horribly and couldn't complete the simplest of things).
    It sounds like she is functioning well, her ADHD is not a factor when she is taking appropriate meds?

I
    I
    wish me luck!... We say "hope" because we are trying to remain optimistic and cooperative
    I *do* wish you luck, and I will join you in "hoping" for the best in future planning once those test results are revealed.

I shared those links because some parents, new to shepherding GT kids through the ever changing educational maze, do not realize how other parents may get things done for their kids... there is lots of info out there, parents just need to find it in time! Preparing for conferences can make a big difference and the tips in several of those links do not necessarily require test results... much prep can be done before parents come to the table.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by indigo
    wish me luck!... We say "hope" because we are trying to remain optimistic and cooperative
    I *do* wish you luck, and I will join you in "hoping" for the best in future planning once those test results are revealed.

I shared those links because some parents, new to shepherding GT kids through the ever changing educational maze, do not realize how other parents may get things done for their kids... there is lots of info out there, parents just need to find it in time! Preparing for conferences can make a big difference and the tips in several of those links do not necessarily require test results... much prep can be done before parents come to the table.

Thank you! Blackcat, I am sorry for the thread tangent. I am not sure if our district is "normal"! We, too, are striving to get "the right fit" for our DC this year. I guess what we are trying to arrive at conferences with is something other than just our "gut feelings" that our children need differentiation/further differentiation in the first place. Our district seems to place a great deal of weight on the NWEA tests (used as a factor G&T placement, eventual math acceleration, and curriculum grouping), so if I want to discuss goals for my DC, I feel as though I need to speak to teachers with data that is relevant to them. Thank you for the information, though, indigo - I will definitely read this! smile

Blackcat - I can relate to much of what you are saying. DD is in 3rd and they were told that they were going to review K-2 crazy at the beginning of this year in math. She then received yet more drilling in addition and subtraction. DD has been a bear at home - crabby and complaining. I do not have any answers - but I "hope" (there I go again! :D) we can all find some solutions!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM