Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    deleted

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    ... says on their website that they have kids work at their own pace in math and reading, they are continually assessed, and they are in leveled groups, going to a different grade classroom if necessary. This sounds ideal but I of course have to verify that it really happens that way. The one parent I talked to says that it does but her son is only in first grade.
    You may wish to learn whether this is provided to the whole student body, or if this is considered a program for the advanced academic achievers or gifted... if so, what are the qualifying criteria?

You may also wish to learn whether this is a teacher-led program, independent learning, teacher as a guide-on-the-side, an online program, or a hybrid combination.

When individualized pacing with continuous assessment is provided for an entire school population, it may be facilitated by means of an online program which is continuously assessing student work and assigning easier or more challenging work. I believe Compass Learning / Odyssey is one such product.

You are wise to realize that something touted on a school's website may exist for only selected grades within the school. Take notes and clarify what they say by feeding it back in your own words as a question (active listening). This can often prevent potential misunderstandings... eliminating occurrences of "what they said" being different than "what I heard".

I will definitely ask for details about how it works. From what the other mom was telling me, for reading at least, they take a test after each lesson and if they pass, they move on. If they don't, then they keep working at that level. But then she also talked about the gifted program starting in second grade, so how is that different and who qualifies?

I
    I
    I will definitely ask for details about how it works. From what the other mom was telling me, for reading at least, they take a test after each lesson and if they pass, they move on.If they don't, then they keep working at that level.

This sounds like differentiation and independent learning. You may wish to find out if it is computer based.

But then she also talked about the gifted program starting in second grade, so how is that different and who qualifies?
    Those will be great questions to ask. Some might say that ideally there would be a cluster grouping for various levels of readiness and ability in math... with a separate flexible cluster grouping for various levels of readiness and ability in reading/language arts... science... and each different subject taught... scaling up/down possibly by cluster grouping with kids in different grade levels.

E
    E
    From what I gathered at the gifted chapter meeting I attended I'm pretty sure some families are prepping their kids for the CogAt. When I talked to various people about DD not finishing the test they started giving details about the test and one mom mentioned practice tests online. So the 1 percent of kids who are actually going to GATE may not even be "gifted", they just had parents who prepped them for the test. There are very rigid cut-offs. Kids have to have a composite score of 139 or 132 with 98-99 percent in reading AND math.

This actually makes me wonder if you are in my school district, because you have described it so exactly. Our district will not accept a "real" IQ test - they only want the CogAT. I would certainly check with yours before you spend any money on testing.

I
    I
    ... CogAt... practice tests online. So the 1 percent of kids who are actually going to GATE may not even be "gifted", they just had parents who prepped them for the test.
    Yes and no. Free practice tests online, offered by the testing company, are generally considered becoming acquainted with the test and are not considered prep or gaming the system; Those terms are often reserved for purchased prep materials from the testing company, and those available from other parties, respectively. Individuals most often aware of free practice tests online may be those who are educators, have an older child in the system, volunteer at school, research extensively online, join forums, and/or socialize with other parents having an older child in the system. Those who may be unaware of practice tests online may be those learning the ropes as they shepherd their first child through the system, those who do not join committees, participate in forums, research online, socialize with other parents, or volunteer in the classroom.

There are very rigid cut-offs. Kids have to have a composite score of 139 or 132 with 98-99 percent in reading AND math.
    This sounds like 98th percentile, top 2%.

I'm debating having DD tested independently because of her ADHD and have her take a real IQ test but I'm not sure if the district will even accept that.
    They may not, however it may be good for you to have that information at the ready for future.

You may wish to check your school board's policies for any information and guidance which may manage expectations regarding their services for gifted pupils. In some cases parents may find policy and practice statements including qualification information such as whether independent test results are accepted, and under what circumstances.

Here may be the dilemma you might face: If DD's independent test results present what you believe to be a score equivalent to a qualifying score on the school's qualifying exam... the degree of accommodation for her ADHD (if any) on the independent test may be an indicator of the degree of accommodation DD may need on an ongoing basis to participate in the gifted program, in order to not slow the program down and deprive others of their right to a free, appropriate education... if the school accepted the independent test results. This may lead to the question - Have you sought an accommodation from the school for DD's 2e or learning disability?

B
    OP Offline
    B
    deleted

I
    I
    When I talked to the school psych, she said she'd give her the Weschler non-verbal ability test. I looked this up and half of the test looks like the processing speed/working memory portions similar to what you'd find on the WISC IV (which I'm familiar with since DS just took it). Unlike the WISC, there would be no way to separate that out and calculate a GAI. So I am left with the dilemma of arguing with the school psych about it, taking her elsewhere and hope they accept the scores, etc.
    I think it is a strong positive that the school had next steps and mind and shared with you the exact test they would plan to administer. Very encouraging, they seem to be offering good support and partnering with you. Possibly you may wish to ask the school psych what cut scores she would be looking for on the Welscher, and whether she is able to approximate IQ scores from the results.

Meanwhile Hoagies Gifted Education Page contains a vast collection of information on various tests, maybe you've read these? http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm, http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests.htm
    Here is another link with some information about the Welscher which may be of interest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wechsler_Intelligence_Scale_for_Children

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks, I haven't looked at that. I'll check it out. I did talk to an independent school psychologist and she said that the Weschler non-verbal ability test sounds inappropriate and she wouldn't use it on an ADHD kid.

L
    L
    Lending support. Waiting for differentiation in our district, too - I notice from earlier threads that you are having some similar concerns with your DC.

DD8 finally was split into math/reading groups within the last week or so, but curriculum still seems easier than it did during the previous grade. Gifted process for program that is not available until this year is still incomplete - seems to take forever. No accelerated math available until next year. Since there are no textbooks that come home, I have no idea where the curriculum is going - there may be great plans in the works, but I have no good, ol' fashioned textbooks to see what is coming up. wink I am waiting for conferences, where hopefully we'll finally see some current test results and obtain some more information about what is planned.

DS5 loves his kindergarten teacher (because DS is shy - this is big), but is still working on letter sounds and counting at school. Seems there is no differentiation there at all. At home, he is reading chapter books and is working on Singapore Math - next year, he will be in school all day and I will have much less time to enrich him at home. I would really like it if he could do some of this learning at school. I am thrilled that he loves his teacher, though - I really just hope we can come up with a great plan for him at conferences.

Was just talking to sister-in-law who has kids in another district. We are actually lucky. Budget cuts are hurting the gifted programs in some grades. SIL's district just cut the 2nd grade gifted (that her DS would have been in frown ). Her older son, who excels in math, is actually driven to the school that houses the next grade's math program, though (district pays for a taxi!). So it is always interesting to hear what other districts are doing. Some better, some not.

Hoping good things for you this year with your DC...

I
    I
    I did talk to an independent school psychologist and she said that the Weschler non-verbal ability test sounds inappropriate and she wouldn't use it on an ADHD kid.
    Not my area of expertise, but as a parent I'd be curious to know if that view is research-based, a widely held opinion, or one professional's personal observation and experience. All may be valid, and there is room for many approaches as all children are unique individuals... as long as the test instrument is appropriate.

Short of learning from the independent psychologist why she did not favor Welscher as an IQ test for a child with ADHD, and what instrument she did prefer, a quick websearch for "welscher adhd" may yield results such as
    1) http://www.grcne.com/giftedADHD.html,
    2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wechsler_Intelligence_Scale_for_Children which lists uses and discusses that the Welscher may not accurately Dx ADHD based on differences in scores (was that the school's intent?).

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM