Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    deleted

B
    OP Offline
    B
    deleted

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Has anyone considered just not having their child do the homework that comes home? Dh is suggesting that we buy DS a singapore math workbook and have him do that instead and send it into school rather than the regular math homework.

P
    P
    First grade at our elementary, DS is 6. It's considered the best (public) elementary in a 40 mile radius.

Reading: 3 ability groups. Two of three are above basic benchmarks for grade, the lowest group is easily on grade level but not above. The top group is mostly not reading real chapter books and they are still mostly monotone readers that stumble fairly often. In addition there is a once a week pullout, it is kept quiet, a couple kids from each class are in it and we were not even informed when DS started it.

Even in the "gifted" reading pullout a couple of the kids have maybe a 3rd grade or so reading level, ie they are still learning to read. Others do have a higher skill level. It's a more relaxed atmosphere than the regular class and DS liked it better than regular class. It is short in terms of time, maybe 30 minutes.

Spelling is a ability grouped into 3 groups, none higher than 2nd grade. They label this "individually differentiated".

Math: 3 ability groups. Top group is called "gifted" but consists of entire 1/3rd of the class. Some kids in it struggle with 1st grade concepts. They do pretests for every section. But I don't know yet what that leads to if anything, so far it doesn't seem to lead to differentiation. They call this group "accelerated" because in our state they legally have to offer acceleration. However acceleration means doing the 1st grade concepts in a bit less time than the other groups. In the leftover time they do something enriching - that DS did not enjoy, he said it was just more of the same.

I believe some years they form an additional math pullout. But I think that wouldn't have happened yet as they just started the ability groups. My guess is they do not do a pullout unless parents pressure them. We have not said anything yet because it's becoming clear to me the problem is not solvable with any 30 minutes a week solution.

I believe from the teacher's and school's perspective this point in the year is considered just the very beginning and they are only just now getting kids who need remediation set up with extra help. I would guess in a few weeks once that is more settled they might be more open to discussing accommodations for high achievers/gifted.

Reading the district policy guide ahead of time I was lulled into a false sense of security by the terms "differentiation", "acceleration", etc. But the reality here is that differentiation or acceleration only has to be "significant". The meaning of that latter word is pretty much whatever you want it to be if you are a school official.

DSs elementary I consider now from his experience to have ability grouping but not a gifted program, despite the school's terminology.

While the school's definition of gifted is not a good solution for DS, I think the school and almost every other parent is extremely happy with it. So it meets the needs of the widest range of families possible. I can't fault the school for it. I just wish they had some system for identifying students that are not served by it.

I find it all intensely discouraging. DS is busy cementing his impression of school as a complete waste of time. And not just empty of interesting content but actively frustrating because he writes poorly and writing is perfused through the day.

We are going to suggest some more unusual sorts of solutions to his teacher and if she won't do anything then we'll have to homeschool. The current situation is reasonable to just endure for a month or two, with lots of sick days etc, but not for a year.

But before we can work with the teacher we have a lot of groundwork to do first. We need to carefully set it up so she has trouble saying no. If I would stop posting here and instead use my time to do a DYS application maybe that would give DS some more forward movement too.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    There is actually a gifted chapter in our district--I have been to a couple meetings, and one involved the school administration.
    This sounds good.

The district is very proud of itself for having a gifted program but fails to realize that these cluster groups in grades 3-6 simply do not work.
    What might work? This may be an area to brainstorm... possibly with other parents... possibly your children and others may have suggestions as well.

And that there are no options for younger grades other than acceleration.
    Commonly related to IQ stabilizing at a certain age... but yes, gifted kids may already be learning noticeably more quickly than age peers, even as toddlers.

They seem to realize there are concerns but it takes years for them to do anything or get their act together.
    Sharing what is working elsewhere may help them avoid "reinventing the wheel".

They also have another program for 4th to 6th grade, but in our huge district of thousands of kids, only about 25 or 30 kids per grade are accepted.
    Doing the math, if there are 3,000 and 30 are accepted, that program may be designed for the top 1%, one student in 100.

It's a school within a school type program (for highly gifted) and kids end up skipping a couple years of math.
    Accelerated math...

That would be ideal for DS if he can hang in there a few more years,
    He is a mathy kid...

but he is not strong in verbal ability only non-verbal and to qualify for that program you need to be strong in everything.
    Then actually the program would not be ideal for DS. Or some may say it would be ideal for him, but he would not be ideal for it... he and others with the same relative strengths (but not globally gifted) may hold back the students who are. Unrequited love... painful.

The district superintendent actually wants to open another GATE school so that more kids can be served, but with huge budget issues in the district, that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.
    Not understanding this as a budget issue as it is not adding seats but rather repurposing a number of seats from general ed to gifted ed. This may be something to ask about and rally other parents behind.

The focus is definitely on the higher level grades, not elementary. It sounds like the high school program has a lot more opportunities. It's a highly rated high school and very large. So there are lots of AP classes or classes to get college credit. But that is a long way away.
    These classes are advanced academics and may be something to look forward to, but are not a panacea as they may not provide the appropriate pacing for a gifted kid.

The gifted chapter leaders are trying to advocate but part of the problem is that the district is in a huge financial mess at the moment. If the next voter levy does not pass it will have to chop about 15 percent of the budget. It will be bad--kids will lose transportation, music, go down to a 4-day school week.
    Yes, because our national economy is slow, fewer are employed and property values in many areas are falling, therefore less income tax and property is being collected from families, and as a result the government has less taxpayer money to redistribute. The national debt is growing, to be paid by our children and grandchildren: There is an expression "Robbing Peter to pay Paul". The gifted chapter leaders may wish to brainstorm on ways to educate children within a smaller budget, and the parent volunteerism you mentioned earlier may be part of the solution. What is working in other areas? You may wish to research this, including resources on the Davidson database (for example, a search for "budget" revealed 146 articles, and a search for "urban" revealed 72 articles on Urban Education).

My DD's 3rd grade class already has 26 kids but it will go up over 30.
    While not ideal, some students have been well-educated in classes as large as 60. It takes a strong internal desire and will to learn. Parents can help encourage that at home.

So the crumbling budget is all they can think about right now.
    Yes, part of their job is to remain fiscally solvent.

I applied for open enrollment to the next district over for next year. It is "rich" and does not have these issues,
    You may wish to verify this, not by reputation, but by attending their board meetings & budget meetings, reading their website and also vetting their gifted program for "fit" as outlined in a previous post. Sometimes families find that districts are identical in their gifted programs; one with a larger budget may allocate more financial resources into sports, teacher salaries & benefits, buildings, etc... not into the gifted program. Meanwhile parents may be afterschooling and providing weekend and summer enrichment classes. If qualification for the gifted program is not an absolute cut score, but relative to the population, children not receiving afterschooling and outside classes may not qualify; while their IQ score may be high, their achievement may not keep pace with peers who've had more experiences. Be on the lookout for quality experiences on a shoestring budget, including opportunities to socialize with other gifted kids... they DO learn so much from each other. Network and bond with other local parents of gifted kids.

And I still need to tour the schools and talk to the district gifted coordinator there. I can use ideas from these forums in terms of what to ask, so thank you for that.
    Hopefully not just what to ask... but also how to prepare... what to observe... what to offer.

P
    P
    Absolutely Blackcat, homework is our responsibility to accommodate, it is not in the school setting so they have no way to assess it. Without assessment they have no leg to stand on to make demands. Don't ask what's okay, just do what you are comfortable with.

A common recommendation I see both here and elsewhere on-line is to replace homework sheets with something appropriate. Ie extension topic math instead of 2+2. It's suggested to send in a very short note with the first returned homework. Something like, "Dear teacher, we will be substituting extension homework of a level commensurate with DSs preparation for topics that DS has mastered" or something like that. Usually seems to go over fine. What the bright kid does at home is the least of their worries. Just one note at the beginning of the year.

My note also said, "As you know, DS has a fine motor impairment. We will be scribing his homework for him so that he can finish his homework in a reasonable amount of time."

In addition I cut homework time off at a certain time with which I'm comfortable, homework in 1st grade in my mind takes 10-15 min max unless it's outright fun. If not finished simply attach a note that says, "DS worked for a reasonable time with excellent effort on this homework and clearly understands the concepts. I asked him to stop at question X".

I have also seen people send in notes saying, "DS is still adjusting to the school day and we will have him begin doing homework when we feel he is ready for it". Or "and we will have him begin submitting homework assignments after Xmas break".

I think especially in 1st grade it is difficult for a teacher to argue, there's enough of a controversy over whether any homework is acceptable in 1st grade that the teacher hopefully will just be relieved your note doesn't say he won't do any homework for a year.

Last edited by Polly; 10/06/13 11:36 AM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    deleted

O
    O
    Let me start by saying that I know we are very lucky. Our elementary gifted program is outstanding. That said, Kindergarten and first grade still only had ability grouping for reading in the regular classroom. Second grade added pullouts for reading and math a few times per week for those that tested into the gifted program via multiple ability and achievement tests (>98%). Kids can be accepted to just math or just reading. They don't have to qualify in all subjects but do get to participate in all subjects.

Third grade is when the fun begins with a separate gifted math class pullout daily. Our teacher is wonderful and he is the teacher of record for math and provides grades for report cards. 3rd also included more frequent reading pullouts and a special project class for additional differentiation. DD9 in 4th gets even better and we have daily reading, math. By 5th, the gifted teacher teaches all subjects and provides all grades with the exception of science.

He also facilitates after school chess and robotics classes. There are two additional gifted teachers but this one is a true gift to his students.

Great public elementary schools for gifted students do exist. Perfection? No.

Differentiation in the regular classes (social studies, science, writing in 4th) is still pretty much "help the struggling kids when you finish your work". But reading the stories on this site from some people help keep me grateful for what we do have.

I
    I
    ... says on their website that they have kids work at their own pace in math and reading, they are continually assessed, and they are in leveled groups, going to a different grade classroom if necessary. This sounds ideal but I of course have to verify that it really happens that way. The one parent I talked to says that it does but her son is only in first grade.
    You may wish to learn whether this is provided to the whole student body, or if this is considered a program for the advanced academic achievers or gifted... if so, what are the qualifying criteria?

You may also wish to learn whether this is a teacher-led program, independent learning, teacher as a guide-on-the-side, an online program, or a hybrid combination.

When individualized pacing with continuous assessment is provided for an entire school population, it may be facilitated by means of an online program which is continuously assessing student work and assigning easier or more challenging work. I believe Compass Learning / Odyssey is one such product.

You are wise to realize that something touted on a school's website may exist for only selected grades within the school. Take notes and clarify what they say by feeding it back in your own words as a question (active listening). This can often prevent potential misunderstandings... eliminating occurrences of "what they said" being different than "what I heard".

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Irena
    ... grade-wide pull-out (all the kids from 2nd grade classes were tested for it and the ones who passed are in the group together, pulled out to a different classroom with a special math teacher). I am almost positive other parents do not even know now that their child was tested for this and that the group exists...
    Some may complain of the lack of transparency, while others may value it as necessary to preclude wealthier families "prepping" a student for the qualification evaluation... therefore they may see this as the most fair, equal, equitable way to provide access to advanced academics for those students most in need of it. Getting to know the families of other students in the same cluster group of readiness and ability may prove valuable over the years.

... Or parents complain. How come child X is in this program by MY kid is not...
    Unfortunately, yes, parents can sometimes be the worst saboteurs of an attempt by a teacher/school/program to serve the varied needs of vastly different gifted kids (mathy, global, etc)

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM