Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #1651 01/19/07 12:01 PM
    D
    delbows Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Is anyone familiar with the Mathnasium franchise? It is just like Sylvan (I assume), but math only. I had thought it was just for remedial stuff, but spoke to someone who sent her math talented son. I brought my DS10 yesterday for an evaluation. The owner told me that he would challenge him, so I though we might give it a try.

Please share any experiences you have had. Thanks.

delbows #1666 01/20/07 07:28 PM
    W
    W
    isn't it very expensive?

sorry, no experience, just drive by the place in town now and then:^)

Willa Gayle
    willagayle #1676 01/21/07 09:48 AM
    D
    delbows Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Hi Willa,
    Yes, Mathnasium is expensive which is why I am soliciting opinions.

I have come to realize that even with a supportive school situation; he will never progress as quickly as he is capable without also receiving advanced instruction. He learns things especially easily with one on one instruction, although, I�m not certain how much of that he will receive with this franchise.

The reason I am considering this is because there is a gap between his math reasoning and math computation skills. Essentially, his aptitude is beyond his current level of education. Of course, much of that is being addressed now that he has be placed up one grade for math, but he really craves and learns best with the big picture first, followed by the steps.

But yes, it will be very expensive! That is certainly one of the big hardships of raising a gifted child. It is also why I am very happy (an envious) of others here whose children are educated appropriately through their local public districts.

delbows #1684 01/21/07 09:59 PM
    Have you looked at the book Developing Math Talent by Susan Assouline? I just picked it up to help with advocacy for our son. One of the myths she presents in the first chapter is how mathematically talented kids can be like this, advanced in concepts but not so good at computations. I'm finding the book quite helpful in giving me lots of ideas to present to the school, as well as a source to site regarding info on GT kids and math education. Maybe it would help you as well.

doodlebug #1687 01/22/07 04:40 AM
    D
    delbows Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Is that book co-authored by Dr. Lupkowski Shoplik? If so, I have been meaning to pick it up. I wasn�t aware that this issue was addressed in the book. Thanks for the suggestion.

delbows #1691 01/22/07 08:24 AM
    Yep, that's the one. Myth number 6 in the first chapter is that GT kids are computational wizards. They point out how this just isn't true, and that often GT kids make careless errors in computation because they are bored. They are ready to advance on to application and math concepts (like you say - big picture first, steps later) before they may have mastered computations. They advocate for NOT holding the kid back.

I haven't gotten through the book, but it has already given me both suggestions to present to our school for DS5, as well as the ammunition to support the suggestions. I'm going to stay hopeful that our meeting will go well with regard to math curriculum changes. I'd say get it if you can, purchase or borrow from the library. It's well worth it.

Last edited by dajohnson60; 01/22/07 08:24 AM.
    doodlebug #1699 01/22/07 01:16 PM
    D
    delbows Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thank you Debbie. I will buy it soon.

Diana

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM