Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    DOK, bianca!

You know, sometimes I think you're just making that school up to haze the rest of us. :p

Kriston
    Hi Kriston,

You will just have to come and visit!!

It's kind of a long commute...LOL!

Kriston
    Algebra 1
    Geometry
    Algebra 2/Trig ?
    Pre-Calc/Trig ?

DS has been a lab rat for the past three years as he is always in the class that the school has just added. Last year in ALG 2 was a disester. Teacher teaching it for the first time, not all the kids up the the level, change in state curriculum etc. As the result, they did not cover half of the material.
    This year, DS is supposed to have a totally new, level IV teacher for his pre-calc class and rumor has it there will only be two students in that class. If this is true, they will be able to cover both Algebra 2 again and Pre-calc. I have a feeling though that the school won't let that happen . We will see.
    Have alook at this:
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Resources/NCTM08talk.pdf

D
    D
    My daughter�s school has placed her in Advanced Algebra 1 for next year. The three possible placements for freshman include Algebra 1, Advanced Algebra 1 or Advanced Geometry. The projected progression for her is;

Advanced Algebra 1
    Advanced Geometry
    Advanced Algebra 2/ Trig
    AP Calculus

We were a bit concerned about her having to repeat Alg 1, but since our son has been participating in the online Introductory Algebra class through AoPs, we realize that she hasn�t yet been trained in depth for the problem solving aspect of algebra despite her computational proficiency.

I'm still nervous about AP Stats with DS next year, and those AOPS books are my "plan B" -- especially the counting/ probability book, since it would fit well with the subject. I'm on the verge of just buying it anyway. smile

Erica
    D
    D
    My DH took her to the placement exam which sounds as if it had lots of AoPs type questions. DH said more than half the kids left the exam within 15 minutes with explanations to their parents that the test was brutal. DD at least stuck it out and didn�t seem traumatized.

The AoPs class has really put it in perspective and given the school�s stated purpose of providing fast pace and problem solving depth in Advanced Alg 1, I believe the math dept made the right call!

I agree with you, Dottie. I guess this class name issue is why most schools rely on their own placement test for math, in particular!

KAR,
    Why are you nervous about AP Stats for your DS?

Well.... part of it is his age (still just 8!) although that's not a really good reason.... Part of it is that we're heading that way on his suggestion and I wonder if he really knows what he's asking for... and part of it is of the half dozen or so books I have, only one of them looks like "fun" -- I'm a little nervous that he'll find it tedious even as it's within his mathematical grasp. I just think it might take a lot of tweaking on my part to keep the pace, workload and interest all doable, just because they're aiming for nearly-adult college freshmen here... not little boys, no matter how good at math.

On the plus side, if we're throwing in SAS (and I think we are...) that really cuts down the tedium quite a bit and picks up the pace, while giving us a side-track in programming that we can switch back and forth to without completely derailing... The AOPS stuff I think might be more interesting too (again without slowing us down really, or losing our train of thought), so I'm thinking that we might dabble in that along the way. And then I can throw in some database programming on the side, which contributes in a slightly different way.

Basically I'm nervous of how much work it's going to be for me to make it all go together, and I'm tempted to just chuck it all and go with the AOPS book as-is. I think if we can swing it we'll do much more and have more fun with the whole statistics shebang, but if we can't swing it, I'm nervous of it just collapsing around us. kwim?

Erica
    D
    D
    Erica,

My son is 3 years older and will begin Alg 1 next year in 7th grade, so it is hard for me to imagine an eight year old near the end of the high school math sequence! He is lucky that you are so well qualified to home-school him in that subject. Will he begin college within the next couple of years?

The Introductory Algebra class is so impressive that we plan to have ds11 do the Counting and Probability courses with AoPs next, assuming his new school schedule allows it. You could probably get through it extremely fast given your son�s ability and your home-schooling flexibility.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by KAR1200
    I'm still nervous about AP Stats with DS next year, and those AOPS books are my "plan B" -- especially the counting/ probability book, since it would fit well with the subject. I'm on the verge of just buying it anyway. smile

Hi Erica, My DS9 is in the exact situation--almost. We are planning AoPS Counting and/or Number Theory this year, and DS is taking Stats (because the middle school cannot guarantee High School credit for other course so they decided to offer something the HS's don't offer). I have a little concern because I've always thought of Stats as dull. My backup is that if after the first month DS isn't thriving, we might have to switch to online course or something else.

delbows, it does intimidate me to forge ahead when they're so young (I think of how much info I forgot from age 8 or 9 versus 12 or 13). But, I have to believe that moving forward is the right thing, right?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM