Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (hiker), 211 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    We stumbled across the National History Bee while on the internet today. My 6yr old became highly interested.... especially in the monetary prize offered.

I like that children are grouped by AGE rather than grade which helps those accelerated children not be penalized for their educational choices. I also liked the oral response/buzzer set up which helps with his 2e issues.

After finding that, he wants to know what other competitions he could do "to earn money". He wants to buy his own iPad.

What have you found and/or participated in for this age group? He has some rather difficult social anxiety developing and I particularly want to find engaging options that get him out of the house. The pull has to be BIG for him to push past the anxiety. It would also be helpful from a "challenge" perspective to hopefully not be the best in the room.

C
    C
    Does anyone have experience with Odyssey of the Mind? It looks interesting but like it might take quite a bit of effort and like you may need a substantial number of kids. I am looking for competitions for my DDs and a few other kids that can be done without a school connection.

F
    F
    We are doing a math competition in October through Mathnasium called Trimathalon. It is for grades 2 thru 5.

C
    C
    Chess for our son. (There's a whole thread on the topic of chess tournaments.) However, I've not seen cash prizes yet, just a lot of trophies. smile

Last edited by ConnectingDots; 09/30/13 06:44 AM.
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by drtrum
    Does anyone have experience with Odyssey of the Mind? It looks interesting but like it might take quite a bit of effort and like you may need a substantial number of kids. I am looking for competitions for my DDs and a few other kids that can be done without a school connection.

Destination ImagiNation stems from Odyssey of the Mind, and you don't have to enter through a school. You can find it at www.idodi.org.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks! Checking these out. Lego is always a fav. but the cost of those sets for the competition throws me off. We have some friends who would probably love to form a team though....

Trimathlon looks fun and is coming up! Lots of locations in my area. However, not sure the parents in another room thing is going to fly with his anxiety at this point. Participation is FREE so that is a bonus!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations