Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 135 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    mykids Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    My 2nd grade son has struggled mightily in school since day 1. We tried a montessori pre-k which was an epic disaster and started off a long list of testing. After ruling out all sensory, OT issues and ADD/ADHD it was recommended that a more highly structured school would be better for him. After a year of no success there, we did a full psyched eval which ruled out 2e and put in squarely in the EG range, with potential in the PG range as he ceilinged a number of tests. The struggle in school was attributed to the major gap btw his EG/PG ability and what he is showing in school. Was told that with the right structure (which he is in), over time etc. this would resolve but it would take a long time ("hopefully by high school"). While he doesn't qualify for any IEP services, school has been great on working with him on differentiation etc. and he has a weekly individual tutor, but he is still only at high second grade level of most things and at level for spelling (this has gone down from last year). He loves school and is trying, but is still struggling and continues to underachieve. Any thoughts on what to do next? Thanks for the help/advice!

Yeah-- what KINDS of problems? Specifically, I mean.

Because this:

with the right structure (which he is in), over time etc. this would resolve but it would take a long time ("hopefully by high school")

strikes me as a MAJOR red flag.

Something clearly still isn't right about this placement or you wouldn't be seeing what you're seeing.

The facts that you have before you:

he's "really trying" hard
    not achieving at potential
    has NOT got a disability which is masking ability
    is in a suitable placement

The question is then-- which of these pieces of information is incorrect? Because they can't all be true.

I will say that barring a 2e issue, I think that many, many parents here (and I'm one of them) have watched in astonishment as the myriad, intractable "problems" (somatic complaints through underachievement and even psychiatric issues) melt away in a matter of hours or days when a TRUE "appropriate" placement is found, or when simply removing a child from an inappropriate one.

So consider what you see in other domains outside of school. Same? Or different?

This seems to me to be possibly an unidentified 2e issue.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 09/30/13 08:23 AM. Reason: to add info and another set of questions

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by mykids
    My 2nd grade son has struggled mightily in school since day 1... school has been great working with him on differentiation etc. and he has a weekly individual tutor... has gone down from last year. He loves school and is trying, but is still struggling and continues to underachieve. Any thoughts on what to do next? Thanks for the help/advice!
    Sorry I do not have an answer but only a question. Does he have true intellectual peers in school?

Is he cluster grouped with others at his level of readiness and ability? Or is he isolated, forced to choose between appropriate academic challenge -or- the prospect of being among others with whom he is sharing his academic experiences, struggles, and triumphs? Is he in a group of kids whom he may ask questions of, take turns being leader and follower, and observe that one child may be stronger in one subject/skill while another child may be stronger in another? Are his efforts praised, his hard work encouraged, or does he observe that others may feel his more rare intelligence profile is a burden to the classroom? Do others show in unspoken ways such as body language that they are wishing him away or wanting him to be different, less-than? Is he being made to be a social isolate? Do you ask him, what is the best thing that happened at school today? What is the worst?

A PG kid in general ed second grade may be more comfortable in 3rd... 4th... 5th. Have you considered the Iowa Acceleration Scale? Here is an article on that topic, from the Davidson database: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10053.aspx

E
    E
    No advice, but much sympathy - we are in a similar boat with DS7.

The struggle in school was attributed to the major gap btw his EG/PG ability and what he is showing in school. Was told that with the right structure (which he is in), over time etc. this would resolve but it would take a long time ("hopefully by high school").

I share the concern on this. It seems a bit circular, surely? And that's a long, long wait for things to "hopefully" improve.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by elsie
    No advice, but much sympathy - we are in a similar boat with DS7.

The struggle in school was attributed to the major gap btw his EG/PG ability and what he is showing in school. Was told that with the right structure (which he is in), over time etc. this would resolve but it would take a long time ("hopefully by high school").

I share the concern on this. It seems a bit circular, surely? And that's a long, long wait for things to "hopefully" improve.

Yes, what this means is that by the time he's in high school, he will be out of the elementary administration's jurisdiction, so they don't have to worry about it.

M
    mykids Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks all for the thoughts/advice. HK...Problems are lack of focus in class, not working well with others, not utilizing time properly etc.-all pretty standard issues for this forum. All stand in the way of him appropriately integrating the reading, writing and spelling skills he needs to excel and be further differentiated in school. I agree with your thoughts about something is not right. I think the placement is not perfect, but after literally looking at every school within a 1 hour drive (and in discussions with the testing psychologist), there is not a better option until middle school. Also, hs is not an option b/c all (psychologists, tutor etc.) agree that while he does well (but not great) in isolation it will/does not translate well when he has to work/interact with others. He's pretty consistent across all areas of his life when with same age peers. He's had 3 independent evals focused on 2e issues and all are in agreement that he's not 2e. Still could be, but not sure what they could have missed--thoughts?

Also, Indigo...Yes, we ask all those questions at home and with 2 gifted siblings, he can get into those "deeper" conversations with them. At school, he technically is with his "ability" peers, but not with his thought peers. As with most (if not all on this thread) finding similar thought peers is easier said than done. The biggest struggle is since he continues to perform at the level he does, he is shut out of many of the programs/classes that require the "talent" part of g&t and not just the "gifted part".

So I guess I am basically looking for ideas to get through the rest of elementary school until we can get to a "better placement" (though that still waits to be seen).

Thanks again to all!

M
    mykids Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Ha! No kidding.

C
    C
    Has the school attempted end-of-year assessment tests for the end of second grade and third grade yet? Is that where they "know" he is only performing at high second grade level?

M
    mykids Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Yes...DRA at an M, spelling and handwriting are "within normal limits" (and therefore writing too), math is high second/low 3rd.

Z
    Z
    Are there areas he aces? Does he have some specialized learning he does for himself at home? You mention reading, writing, spelling as barriers. What about other areas? Is he just being measured by his weaknesses?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM