Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    ... Richwine's post (at a conservative journal of opinion, after all) is a reasonable summary of the report

Agreed! Provoking both thought and discussion, it serves a useful purpose.

Strongly disagree. By attributing outrageous "facts" to the original source that the original source did not say, it is not provoking thought. It's doing just the opposite. It is provoking emotion... a handy trick to employ whenever you want people to stop thinking.

I share ultramarina's disdain of the article, but not because it's bad journalism. I hold it in contempt because it's good propaganda.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Dude
    ... By attributing outrageous "facts" to the original source that the original source did not say, it is not provoking thought. It's doing just the opposite. It is provoking emotion... a handy trick to employ whenever you want people to stop thinking.
    Point well taken. However in that light, now I must regard the author's article as a failure... as it has achieved the opposite effect on this board as that which you ascribe. On this board, his article has not caused a cessation of thinking... but rather lively discussion, critical thinking and analysis, and focused research for and sharing of primary sources and related articles.

As with many circumstances in life, the degree to which ideas resonate with different people, and each individual's take-away may vary considerably based upon the uniquely accumulated previous experiences and resultant knowledge base. Meanwhile it is good to raise awareness of the business relationships between various organizations.

Originally Posted by indigo
    Point well taken. However in that light, now I must regard the author's article as a failure... as it has achieved the opposite effect on this board as that which you ascribe. On this board, his article has not caused a cessation of thinking... but rather lively discussion, critical thinking and analysis, and focused research for and sharing of primary sources and related articles.

Yes, but this is not your typical audience. The vast majority of readers will not verify the claims against the original source.

And yet, the furtive fallacy is still being expressed in this thread, so even in atypical audiences, it works.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Dude
    ... furtive fallacy ...
    Illuminating the alliteration... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furtive_fallacy

U
    U
    Must thank you, Dude, for introducing me to the phrase "furtive fallacy"--a concept I was certainly familiar with but did not know an actual name for.

Z
    Z
    F has all the best alliterations.

Interestingly, the whole notion of Intelligence itself being primarily an inherited characteristic is seen by many of Richwine's opponents as a furtive fallacy LOL

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/01/13 04:46 AM.

Become what you are
    M
    M
    Whatever one's views may be about this author, his publication, the CB, or testing issues in general, I don't see how he is being misleading about this CB report.

I'll quote again from the report
    Those students who met the SAT College and Career Readiness Benchmark had a
    number of critically important academic characteristics that must be shared by all
    students if our nation is to make meaningful gains in educational attainment.
    This year’s report highlights characteristics of these students to help demonstrate
    successful patterns that can be replicated in schools and districts throughout the country.

How does one read that any way other than as suggesting that increasing these characterstics will improve outcomes? Where is that jump from correlation to causation (despite many obvious possible objections) justified in the report? The NR post is just an opinion journalism piece mocking the CB report, which, frankly, deserves it.

Suspecting that any organization might have ulterior motives in publishing a poorly supported argument as to why people should use more of their products "for the children" hardly seems to match the definition of the furtive fallacy.

Is there a name for a variation of the fallacist's fallacy where the suggested fallacy is being misapplied?

U
    U
    #1: Common Core is not at all the same thing as a core curriculum.

Core curriculum, as defined by the College Board:

"four or more years of English, three or more years of mathematics, three or more years of natural science, and three or more years of social science and history"

The Common Core is a lengthy set of educational standards--"what students should know and be able to do in each subject in each grade." Whatever its advantages or disadvantages--and it is a popular conservative *and liberal* whipping boy at the moment-- it is not at all the same as what the CB is referring to here, and Richwine knows this. Yet we get this from him:

Still another is that more college-ready students completed a “core curriculum.” (Guess who will be selling tests based on the Common Core national standards.)

No. Misleading.

U
    U
    That's probably the worst one, but he's deceptive with his wording elsewhere as well. Compare carefully.

Students who met the SAT College and Career Readiness Benchmark were more
    likely to have taken honors or AP courses

does not equal

The College Board offers some speculative reasons about why some students are college-ready and others are not...Another is that college-ready students took more AP tests

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM