Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    A big thanks to Howler Karma for convincing me there was such a thing as I ignorantly did not believe there was until I finally found the right place to look.

I have paperwork in hand for the Sp. Ed. Evaluation and Referral and am working to put best responses on paper. My son is only 6 and my information about how his disabilities affect him in the classroom feels lacking. We only found out officially that his several disabilities exist 6 months ago. Much of the diagnostics and information have been learned over the summer, so no professional help implementing and trying things.

I want to share this process here and glean the lovely advice those of you who are further down the road have to provide. I have not read a thread on this so I'm hoping this can help others searching for information see how this option works as well. One of my concerns with homeschooling was loosing the option of the IEP that we were pursuing at our public school. Learning that need not be the case was important in our making our choice to leave the toxicity.

Up next is the questions from my forms....

Last edited by HappilyMom; 09/26/13 06:53 AM. Reason: grammar typo!
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Here is what my forms cover in mostly short essay format:

STUDENT BACKGROUND: Attendance history, Academic history (list of schools), Medical concerns, What are the student's strengths (in objective measurable terms)

PROBLEM IDENTIFICATION:
    What is the problem in relation to the educational setting?
    What is the current level of academic/behavioral performance for this student?
    Where is the student expected to achieve/perform as compared to other students' in the class/grade?

PROBLEM ANALYSIS: Why do you think this problem is occurring? (choose one)
    Does the student have skill problems (can't do issues) Explain.
    Does the student have performance problems (won't do issues) Explain.

SPEECH LANGUAGE CONCERNS (checkboxes with issues we don't have)

SOCIAL EMOTIONAL BEHAVIOR (check correct box---acceptable, not)
    Peer Relationships
    Classroom Behavior

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Yes/No Checkboxes (please provide records)
    Private Medical Evaluation
    Private Psychological Evaluations
    Prior Sp Ed Evals/IEP
    Private outside Evaluations (not listed above)

INTERVENTION IMPLEMENTATION: What research-based interventions have been provided for this student?

Boxes are list intervention, date, frequency/duration, and effectiveness options of yes, no, never, sometimes, rarely

H
    OP Offline
    H
    I am just working through it mentally right now. What I have for reports are:

WPPSI and WIAT from age 4.3 which shows significant results in the difference between expected and actual performance and a 2SD spread between VCI and PSI.

WISC, WIAT, WJ(ach.) from 6.10 (done a few weeks ago) which show a 4SD (61pts) spread between VCI (99.9th) and PSI (16th percentile), with scores of "borderline" on coding and "low avg" on symbol search. (Full report is in progress and not yet available to me)

BEERY VMI (2nd percentile!!) and OT Eval with diagnosis of "Coordination Disorder with Dyspraxia and Hypotonia"

Neuro Psychiatrist report with Anxiety Disorder w/ elements of PTSD, ADHD hyperactive impulsive type, also mentions need to "rule out disorder of written expression".

Finally an eval from a Developmental Optometrist with diagnoses of Convergence Insufficiency, Poor Eye Teaming Skills, Poor Tracking Skills, and Ocular Motor Delays.

We have accommodations in the classroom suggested in the reports from the Optometrist and OT.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations