Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi everyone. It's been a while since I posted. The K12 virtual school is working well for DGS7 (Asperger's, SPD, etc.). He was screened today with NNAT2 for their gifted program and initial indications are he will make the cutoff and finally get some additional school programming to meet his needs. So far, we are doing okay with the special needs, but desperately need his strengths on the other end met too. Maybe we will finally get the identification we need. Please send good thoughts our way and I will keep you posted.
    Thanks
    Leah

22B Offline
    We're also in a free K12 virtual school. It's easy to go at whatever pace you like, as long as they'll let you. Our DS wasn't gifted tested until age 7 in late grade 1. But even before that he was able to complete all of grade K and grade 1 (and grade 2 math) while in grade K. So you shouldn't even need gifted recognition to move at an accelerated pace in a K12 virtual school.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thank you for you reply. Nice to meet another K!2 family. This is our first year (2nd grade).
    We are moving very fast through some things, but the AS makes math tough sledding as automaticity is difficult with the slowed processing speed. Give him history, maps, social studies and he will blow you out of the water. Reading is accelerating really fast since his vision therapy and reading glasses. He jumped more than a grade level in the last 2 months. What I am looking for is the opportunities for the extra classes with other kids like him and just to see what they can offer besides compacting.
    Also, he may re-enter public school at some point (I hope not!) and being identified formally as 2e will help make sure he gets his special needs met on both ends if he returns.

A
    A
    We're K12 as well and like that they've kept DD2 (7, SPD and more) in second grade despite her struggles with reading and speech. We've gotten over the hump in counting and suddenly she is zipping through first grade math and I expect she'll be caught up to her class mates by the end of the school year. Reading is slower going but she is identified as 2E thanks to a great school psychologist and they work with me on it. I can't give much insight on the gifted accelerations because I keep her at grade level and just to let her finish early in the easier stuff so she can spend more time doing what she wants.

Good thoughts on getting identified! We had good luck with them and got much further than our local schools smile

Q
    Q
    It's great hearing from other k12 families! We started with k12 a little over a week ago for my ds 7-second grade (ASD, ADHD, DCD). We were excited to learn about the program as an option for us. So far so good (other than ds got sick the weekend before we started and is still battling bronchitis). It is nice to be able to differentiate for him and provide the depth he loves. He started in 3rd grade L.A./English & Science and grade level in math & history. He has already skipped over a few units in math to get to his "level" and is moving quickly through the material. He just started vision therapy and am hoping it helps his ability to track, write & line up his numbers. He sounds a lot like your son...give him maps! smile

Just wanted to wish you well and say, "hi!"

quinn17

L
    OP Offline
    L
    quinn17
    It is nice to meet other K12 families and it does sound like our boys are alike, except for math. One thing about having him at home is I can see where he struggles and where he excels and try to figure out ways to teach him in his weak areas, and watch him soar in his strengths. So far it is a great experience. Keep in touch and we'll watch our boys take off together!
    You, too with your daughter AtSouthDam.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM