Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #168770 09/23/13 08:40 AM
    OP Offline
    I came across this and really like the comparison, so I thought I would share.

http://giftedkids.about.com/od/schoolissues/a/is_it_a_cheetah.htm

H
    H
    We love this article! Was one of our earliest reads on gifted issues. Glad you shared the link here. smile It also ties in to my husband's young creative writing about being a Cheetah himself and racing around to explore... special memories of our first date and being so excited to be with another Cheetah.

Another useful analogy that our family has found helpful is to understand that most "enriched" or "accelerated" educational programming is not intended for Cheetahs.

It's intended for Border Collies. Yup.

Border Collies are known not only for their eagerness to please, but for their intelligence (well, for dogs, I mean), and for their sheer persistence and stamina.

Most bright-not-gifted students are awesome Border Collies. But they are not cheetahs.

This analogy has really helped my DD to understand why she still feels like such an outsider and outlier even among her driven and enthusiastic, but hard-working and pressured classmates. Running 15 mph all day is hard work, but it's work that Border Collies are well-suited to. It makes them happy and satisfied.

Cheetahs, not so much. Cheetahs are meant for sprinting-- so to make this kind of curriculum fit, you have to be able to get some 'flex' into pacing. My DD has no trouble keeping up with the Border Collies; but there's no way that she can run alonside them. She's not made that way. We have to have "meet-up" points along the way. That way she can do her cheetah thing and still hit the checkboxes.

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Depressingly apt.

Become what you are
    Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Cheetahs are meant for sprinting--

Mental sprinting... Curious... anyone else here "sprint"... do your kids?

I've discovered that almost any time I've mentioned the concept in a work context, I've gotten the "ok, you're crazy, but we like you anyhow" look.

Yup.

Always have.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    ditto. and ditto DD5. ditto husband, though he humbly characterizes it as "extreme laziness."

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    L
    L
    And we are taught it's morally superior to be a tortoise rather than a hare.
    I always wondered... What if the hare wasn't concerned with his rank vs. the tortoise, and just finished the course at his own speed instead of napping? Wouldn't that be even better???

To me, it doesn't feel like sprinting. I suppose to the cheetah, it doesn't feel like sprinting, either... just normal running. Then the cheetah wonders at the plodding pace of the lion.

Dude #168804 09/23/13 11:16 AM
    Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Dude
    To me, it doesn't feel like sprinting. I suppose to the cheetah, it doesn't feel like sprinting, either... just normal running. Then the cheetah wonders at the plodding pace of the lion.

What I was meaning by sprinting... is I have a mode A and a mode B. Mode A, I can do all day long. In mode B, I am running at a few SDs higher in IQ, can finish four hours work in an hour. But when I hit a wall I'm done/shot for the rest of the day, mentally exhausted. While "sprinting," I'm likely to be twitchy, rock in place, tap, be very short, inattentive, no sense of time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM