Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #168485 09/20/13 12:42 PM
    M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Had meeting with school about need for awareness and some small accommodations regarding vision and its impact for ds. Felt good going in, had been given advice about what to say and how to answer questions by the tester. Instead, the school member felt that he self- accommodated, and they didn't see any need for more. Arrrgghh.

Hopefully, the teacher (whom we like and so does ds) will helpful. Awaiting to hear when we will have a parent teacher conference.

Sorry for complaining. Feeling somewhat frustrated, but hopeful the teacher can/ will help.

P
    P
    I guess it would save money if all children self-accomodated - no aides, no wheelchair ramps. It sounds a bit like the 2e kids whose IQ covers the LD enough that neither the IQ or the LD are noticeable. Not really fair or reasonable.

H
    H
    How frustrating! I do hope your teacher will help. It seems to always come down to the teacher in the end anyhow. You are in the right place to complain. It's a problem when schools are refusing what a child needs to have a free and appropriate education.

M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Puffin- this made me smile- too funny. Schools would be psyched then, right? I was told since he is functioning way about grade level with high MAP scores too, then there is no reason to accommodate. It was even said that maybe he acts different at home. What? The tester saw significant vision problems, backed up be the Developmental Optometrist.

I was anxious that 2E would not be considered at our school. That appears to be the case. All the district wanted to talk about was how our private eval had no teacher input (bad teacher relationship at time of testing) and ds possibly having low frustration tolerance- (not a concern to us or teacher at this time).

As far gifted identification, they are willing to get the ball rolling and knows he needs this. (No kidding. We brought you scores.)

HappilyMom- I was frustrated. For now, I'm going to say positive about his teacher as she seems to like him.

Also, my husband said he felt like the lightbulb went off for a few in the room when I tried to explain the amount of mental energy it takes him to see. Hopefully, it really did.

Let the saga continue....

D
    D
    oh that drives me nuts! "above grade level, so who cares?" grrrr

sorry, i know that's not useful - but that one KILLS me.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    I
    I
    Oh my gosh - I admire your composure . If I were told my son needs to self-accommodate I think I would have punched someone! What a bunch of asses!

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Oh my gosh - I admire your composure . If I were told my son needs to self-accommodate I think I would have punched someone! What a bunch of asses!

And THAT is why I like you, Irena. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks for all the support! Helps me feel a little less crazy!

Irena- I wish I had the balls- really!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Melessa
    Had meeting with school about need for awareness and some small accommodations regarding vision and its impact for ds. Felt good going in, had been given advice about what to say and how to answer questions by the tester. Instead, the school member felt that he self- accommodated, and they didn't see any need for more. Arrrgghh.

Hopefully, the teacher (whom we like and so does ds) will helpful. Awaiting to hear when we will have a parent teacher conference.

Sorry for complaining. Feeling somewhat frustrated, but hopeful the teacher can/ will help.

Meleesa, I am feeling so very frustrated for you!!! Would you like to list out for us the accommodations you were asking for? I'm also curious if this was supposed to be a 504 meeting, or if it was just an informal meeting with staff to discuss accommodations? I think it's worth thinking through in detail how you will respond to ridiculous comments such as the "he's self-accommodating" etc before you meet with the teacher, and I would also suggest sending an email summary of the meeting discussion to each of the meeting participants just to get it on the record. It's possible that things may work out a-ok with this teacher this year, but if your ds has vision challenges that aren't going to go away, you'll want accommodations in writing. Typically that would be through a 504, but there are times when a school might do the same through a "health plan" - but both are formal, written documents that the school is required to follow.

Another point to consider when talking to his teacher (and for future team meetings) - what happens re accommodations when your ds is with other teachers for pull-outs like music, pe, etc?

I'm also curious - have you thought of asking the person who wrote the vision report if they've heard of schools in your district not honoring the requests for accommodations? If you get the feeling that this is something that is just a situation with your school, you might want to call your district's 504 coordinator's office and ask them what the procedure is for formally requesting a 504, and would it be typical to have a 504 with the set of challenges your ds has.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - I would want to know specifically what they felt your ds is doing that is providing "self-accommodations". If they can actually offer up an example, then you have an example of a need for an accommodation. For example, if he gets up and moves closer to the board on his own to read what's on the board, then the staff has just affirmed that he needs to be seated close to the board.

Another reason to get their specific description of the meaning of "self-accommodation" is to be sure they aren't "reactions/coping mechanisms" instead of "accomomdations". For example, if he's squinting or shifting his paper around to a bizarre orientation or having to get up and take a relaxation break because the effort of focusing is too hard etc - those are reasons he needs to have his formal (requested) accommodations in place.

FWIW, I do think it's possible to get along with vision accommodations without a 504 plan - my dd's teachers have always been willing to let her have the accommodations she needs for her vision challenges in class and have been very understanding about her vision issues. However - I would absolutely seek out a 504 for her if we ran into a situation where teachers weren't being cooperative and understanding or if I felt her issues required accommodations on testing - even if she was getting those accommodations during testing in the classroom, you need the 504 to guarantee the accommodations on state etc type testing.

Last edited by polarbear; 09/21/13 11:04 AM.
    M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Polarbear-
    Thanks for all your thoughts! The meeting we attended (which I wasn't sure about until we got there) was for a 504- which is what the neuropsych and developmental optometrist told us to ask for. However 504 or not, I wanted/ want something in writing. I wanted the teacher to know that despite his above grade level achievement, he has this vision issue. He can not be compared to the child next to him. The only accommodations I wanted for ds was to use a bookmark when reading and be allowed breaks when doing worksheets or writing.

There were district people at the meeting. After reading the vision report, one even had the nerve to ask me if he really had double vision!

From speaking with the DO, she has never heard of schools not following her recommendations. However, she did say most are underachieving. She is appalled.

Supposedly, no one at school sees him struggling with his vision (although neither did I until I was looking for it). So, really the school sees it not as a problem and ds is dealing with it since he is so far above grade level. The principal is big on self- advocacy, so she wants me to encourage him to tell the teacher when he is feeling eye fatigue. I tried to discuss this with ds, but he started getting really anxious about it. Worrying that his teacher won't believe him or let him.

I personally think one of my son's coping techniques, is just to finish ASAP; so then he can rest- which thus far has been seen as "he races through his work".

I do need to think about what and how I want to speak with his teacher. And really how to get what he needs to have a successful year with appropriate learning opportunities.

P
    P
    Not sure how old your son is but I don't think kids should have to self-advocate. That is why they have parents and teachers. After all your son only knows his vision how is he supposed to know what other kids vision is like and what needs to be done?

M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Puffin- ds is 6, 1st grade.

Mon- thanks for the insight. Makes a lot of sense.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Melessa
    Puffin- ds is 6, 1st grade.

Mon- thanks for the insight. Makes a lot of sense.

Definately too young to have to self-advocate. How can you put a kid in an environment where he has no power and expect him to manage his own accomadations? And since when were teachers experts in eye problems?

The comments about his grades should have NO place in a 504 meeting. A 504 meeting isn't necessarily about grades, it's about making school SAFE for the child. Just because a student with a missing leg CAN get around on crutches doesn't mean they should be forced to leave their wheelchair outside every day.

~amy
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs