Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 265 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    acs, I smiled reading your post because it sounded just like me (nuclear war worries).

Oma, I love the quote and your advice about tangibly helping. When my DS was maybe 6 he learned about global warming and was very distraught, couldn't sleep. I told him about ways we could help (turning off lights, carpooling, etc.) and he was comforted that he could do something about it.

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just wanted to thank you for all the sugestions. I have not had the oportunity of aplying them since DD has not brought up the subject yet. Knowing her, she will sooner or later.

Yesterday she was worried by a fire in a building. She thought that people may have died or loose their house. Fortunately there were no causalties and it was not an appartment building and this put her mind at rest.

Now she fears a fire in our house ....

As for doing something tangible I am going to suggest to her giving her old (ie. small but quite new) clothing and some old toys to some charity.

Originally Posted by Isa
    I just wanted to thank you for all the sugestions. I have not had the oportunity of aplying them since DD has not brought up the subject yet. Knowing her, she will sooner or later.

Yesterday she was worried by a fire in a building. She thought that people may have died or loose their house. Fortunately there were no causalties and it was not an appartment building and this put her mind at rest.

Now she fears a fire in our house ....

As for doing something tangible I am going to suggest to her giving her old (ie. small but quite new) clothing and some old toys to some charity.

Giving her outgrown clothing and toys to a charity benefits others, and is good. But, I've often wondered if it really teaches a child about real charity. If it's something we no longer can use, or want, and we give it away, does that really help develop our compassion for those who need help? Just something I've thought about.

If your daughter fears fire in your house then she's old enough to learn safety plans on prevention and how to get out of the house. Can you also take her to a fire department so she can see firemen up close, and dressed in fire gear?

Hmmm...Interesting philosophical question, OHG!

Well, if it's an item that is still useful, then I think it does teach compassion. Even if you don't want/need the item, if the child can see that someone can use it, then the child is able to put him/herself in someone else's place. I think that's the important root of compassion, far more important than self-sacrifice.

After all, you might sacrifice something that you dearly love, but that doesn't mean that anyone else will want it. My son has a favorite t-shirt that he'd rather die than give up, I think, but that doesn't mean that anyone else would want to wear the holey, stained, faded thing!

I do love talking philosophy, OHG, and I don't get to very often. You made my day! laugh

Oh, and as for the fire issue, Isa: it can be useful to talk numbers with GT kids. Talking about how few houses burn can be useful for helping them gain perspective. Point out *all the houses you see* that are not damaged by fire ("That one's not, that one's not, that one's not..."), and the older they are the better: "See! That house is 200 years old and not damaged by fire."

And I agree with OHG that talking about prevention and safety plans is key. If your DD feels like she has some control, some way to prevent the situation that scares her, she probably won't be as scared by it. Enlist her eyes to look for appliances that aren't unplugged, a stove that isn't turned off, some fabric that's too near a heater, that sort of thing. Talk about never playing with fire/matches/lighters. Teach her how to call the fire department. Show her your smoke detectors and how they work. Give her some control.

One other thought: this sort of worrying is really common among GT and sensitive kids. It's hard to watch, but it's pretty normal. It sounds to me like you're handling it very well. smile She'll get through it in time if you keep giving her the tools to do so, just as you are.

{{hugs!}}

Kriston
    Hi Isa,
    This brought back many memories. The worries she shares are ok, it's the ones she hides that do the most harm, i think.

I like to encourage DS to ask G-d to carry the parts that are too difficult. Some people make a Box to send their worrys to
    G-d. Then they write little notes and put them in the box.

Mostly I try to show that 'It's a process' and that there are some things we can do on our own, and somethings that we need to work together with others on.

An example of a change that requires both personal and group work is the food industry. This morning, I bought some 'organic' Catsup in our regular grocery store. This pleases and amazes me. Even though people are starting to worry about the cost of food, it seems that more folks would rather eat Organic beans than Feedlot meat.

Love and more love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Good points!

OHG: I think in this case it could be a major sacrifice for DD since she now wants a sister and she is convinced that her old clothing will be for this future sister...
    No, I am not pg and do not have the intention of becoming pg in the next 10000 years. (DH would like it but that's another story:))

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM