Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    We met with our private psychologist today to review the results of DS5's testing last month. He just started primary last week.

I thought that I was well prepared to hear the words, so it shouldn't have felt like a punch in the stomach.. but it did. I can't remember all the numbers. This time around, I knew that I didn't need to obsessively write them down. With the WPSSI he was in the gifted range in performance, almost there in the verbal composite and around the 10%-ile for Processing Speed. I'll get the exact numbers when the report is ready. Honestly, I zoned out after hearing 10%-ile. She is pre-emptively diagnosing him as learning disabled and going to advocate for as much early intervention as possible.

We've been here before with DD11 (HG+, ADHD, dysgraphia, dyslexia and anxiety)although much later in the game. I only know how to play from the 'chasing-our-tails' end of it. On one hand it feels great to be able to be proactive. Maybe we can save this one from the perils of severe anxiety, panic attacks and demolished self-esteem. On the other, my heart breaks for the frustrations that lie ahead for him.

Thanks for listening to my pity party. I will be much more positive from here on out. Just had to get that out. Gearing up for round two.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    M
    M
    I'm so sorry! Getting in early has made an astounding difference to my DD. I do hope you have similar success.

P
    P
    {{HUGS}}

If it is any consolation I have heard myself say over and over "If only I knew then what I know now..." Now you do know. You are going into this armed with much, MUCH more knowledge than you did with the first one. You are going to be the expert in the room. I am going to guess that your son's experience will be quite different from your daughter's. Yes he is going to have struggles but your whole family has made it possible for him to have an easier time and I hope you can allow yourself the opportunity to feel proud of that.

Oh, and no need to feel pressured to keep things positive for us here. If ever there was a place where you can feel free to let it all out and vent I think this is probably it. We have whole bunch of big strong shoulders to cry on and can help pick up the pieces afterwards. Vent away...

Hey, the occasional pity party is one thing... I think that's called "not bottling up my feelings."

It's only when the guests at this party refuse to take a hint and go home at some point-- that it becomes a problem. wink

It is DEFINITELY true that figuring it out in real time is way harder than knowing where the hazards are on the course. Now you know! smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I am one to freak out in the moment and then spend the next few days googling everything I can find about the issue. But, I've come to learn that my reaction is really just giving me the time to feel the feeling, get a plan, and then move forward. Try to give yourself that time, however long that takes. And vent here whenever you want.

You are the perfect parent for your kids. You can do this. You are doing this. And your kid (as you know) is the same amazing kid that he has always been. All you need to do now is continue to provide your DS with what he needs to thrive, as you always have. Now you just have more information to help you do that.

((hugs))

She thought she could, so she did.
    OP Offline
    Thanks so much, everyone! You all know how important it is to hear from people who truly understand.

Our family prides itself for the ability to laugh at ourselves. When we told DD about her brother's results today, she never even flinched. "When life hands you lemons, make lemonaid. If it hands you melons, you might be dyslexic." She survived round 1 marvelously. Even with parents who had no clue what they were doing.

I recently found the most wonderful quote. Whenever I feel that I am too tired for round #2, this will inspire me:

I may be small, but I matter.
    Teach me, love me, believe in me.
    Because, with your guidance, when I am all grown up
    I am going to be someone amazing!
    - S Wheeler

Thanks for your kind words.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    D
    D
    Your DS is extraordinarily lucky to have a mom who is already equipped to do this job well. And your DD to guide sometimes, and to laugh with.

There will be a place of "fine" to get to in all this, and probably sooner than you think.

DeeDee

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM