Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    moomin #166156 09/01/13 08:19 AM
    SST sounds alarming, yes-- but--

that's exactly what the school used when we weren't sure whether to do an additional skip with DD in 6th grade.

So as long as the players involved are genuinely interested in doing something that works FOR THE STUDENT (as opposed to moving a 'problem' to be someone ELSE's problem, if you catch my drift there)...

it can be a positive thing, and it may not have to even go any further if "normal" interventions are enough... and honestly, there isn't any law that says that the interventions normally written into 504/IEP plans cannot be offered as placement options/interventions for any student... it's just that they HAVE to be offered to eligible students who have status as QID's (Qualified Individual with Disability).

It does sound as though what she ACTUALLY could use is an academic setting 4y or so beyond what she has... but with a physical setting that keeps her in age-appropriate expectations for behavior and emotional regulation. I'm not sure how you get that. Well, I know how we did it, but my DD didn't have the difficulty with emotional regulation to this degree.

Any standard placement is going to chafe, probably-- you just have to figure out least-worst. Look at it this way, at least the other people involved may know of options that you don't. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    moomin #166165 09/01/13 10:36 AM
    Sounds to me like it is definitely time for a note to the teacher-- expressing appreciation.

(I did this early and often until my DD was in middle school. She was not trivial to accommodate, and I deeply appreciated teachers that opted to honor her rather than "pruning" her into conformity.)

Her teacher really does sound like she's trying very hard. Let's hope that continues!! smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    moomin #166511 09/04/13 04:28 PM
    P
    P
    Glad to hear about the letter writing homework, that sounds like a positive sign.

I thought of your DD today as my DS6 has been coming home from 1st grade in a good mood saying "good" or "great" about his day. I had requested a meeting with the teacher before school started (to prep them as he is new to the school) but it ended up today, and as it turns out all is not well. As it happens, DS is acting oppositional, being (mildly) disruptive, frighteningly wiggly, inexplicably leaves his seat, has cried every day. Improving over the days but lots of struggles taking up teacher time.

She is concerned he'll refuse to do the placement tests for grouping (I'm happy there is grouping). I was able to reassure her that he loves tests of any kind. I didn't know what to say to her though, she seemed to be open minded and want insight. Which was nice in and of itself I suppose. I said he has an intense personality and does best with choices and that several experts agree no ADHD. It's weeks and weeks too early to discuss differentiation. They did a 2+3 sort of worksheet today. I didn't feel it was fair to even bring it up at all, she seemed to get that he was smart but it's premature to go much further as there's nothing she could do at this point, even grouping doesn't start for a month probably.

What I want to do is tell her about 7 19s on the wisc and say to just let him go read some textbooks in the back of the room. That if she doesn't bother him he won't bother the class. That he'll be fine as long as he doesn't have to do Your Curriculum. Of course I can't say that. And it's not really valid to suggest anything so extreme as he needs lots of work on handwriting and handwriting seems to be worked in to all their subjects. So instead I recommended to give him a written list of allowed and forbidden ways of expressing himself.

I guess I should just be happy he's not refusing to go or doing anything more dramatic than rolling on the ground in tears. But it's discouraging, to have assumed that everything must be going okay and then to listen to a list of "and then he".

Polly #166517 09/04/13 05:17 PM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Polly
    I guess I should just be happy he's not refusing to go or doing anything more dramatic than rolling on the ground in tears. But it's discouraging, to have assumed that everything must be going okay and then to listen to a list of "and then he".

I feel you - this totally sucks. I had the same reaction to DD's 2nd grade teacher with similar comments. DD does not have any memory of much of the bad behavior that is reported by adults. The camp nurse called me from Girl Scout camp this year to discuss her overreactions, but DD didn't remember any of it when she came home.

All I can say is to let yourself feel the discouragement, then buckle down and work on it. This too shall pass (and so will he).

moomin #166523 09/04/13 05:47 PM
    K
    K
    I guess we are lucky, DS4 loves his prek. I overheard a friend of ours ask him what he is learning at school. He replied, oh I don't learn anything at school, i just go there to help with the two year olds on the playground and take care of the butterfly garden. We moved him to this play based school
    Because he was so unhappy in the gifted pre-k he was in. At least he feels
    He has a purpose. Next year will most likely be a totally different story.

moomin #166634 09/05/13 02:30 PM
    M
    M
    Woot!! I so hope this sticks. Hopefully the teacher will see the fruits of her efforts and flexibility and it will help increase her tolerance for and reduce the magnitude of inevitable bumps! And if she's managing your DD maybe she's managing the other kids well enough that there will be much less chaos to trigger stress.

Last edited by MumOfThree; 09/05/13 06:50 PM.
    moomin #166650 09/05/13 06:41 PM
    P
    P
    That is truly heartwarming to hear -- you must be so relieved. Even if she has difficult days in the future everyone now knows (including her) that it's possible for her to fit in there. What awesome news.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM