Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    Switch hitting doesn't have the same value in softball as it does in baseball.

I disagree for all the same reasons you already listed. That skill is an advantage in softball the same as in baseball - at least around here it is. Our area has some serious softball going on from youth through adults.

My right handed niece has mastered a killer left handed slap bunt so she can use her speed to get on base or advance others already on base. She had to really work at it, but I'm hoping DD7 will come at it more naturally.

I think what NSG is saying is that in softball, if you can bat left, then bat left all the time to gain those advantages. That suggestion assumes the player can drive the ball from the left side, though. A player who drives the ball from the right and slaps it from the left is tipping off the opponent to what's coming when they step into the batter's box.

Players gain an advantage by switching sides in baseball because of the way breaking balls break. A ball that curves towards you appears to hang in space, making it easy to see and hit. A ball that curves away has the opposite effect. Batting opposite the pitcher (right against lefty, left against righty) ensures that curve balls curve in.

There are no curve balls in softball.

L
    LNEsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hmm, interesting. Perhaps it is more of a lack of dominance rather than cross dominance. He is definitely not ambidextrous. It isn't that he can do things with either hand. I haven't asked, but it doesn't seem that he's comfortable with both either. It is that he does SOME things with his right (like writing and eating) and some things with his left (like all sports related activity). When he was very young I was worried that he was being taught to write right handed but he was actually left. However, that didn't seem to be true. But writing and fine motor tasks have always been a challenge for him and these are the things he does with his right hand. He is significantly less clumsy with the activities that are left dominant.

Polarbear, we did do the neuropsych eval this summer and are awaiting the results. I am definitely going to ask about this in the follow-up.

Not to hog this thread or stir the pot but...

Originally Posted by Dude
    There are no curve balls in softball.

I agree with everything else you said, but I beg to differ on this one point.

You most definitely can throw curveballs in softball! It is actually an essential pitch to know if you want to play competitively. I played high school and college softball and I can guarantee I had to know how to hit a curve by about the time I turned 14-15. Not all pitchers that age can throw one and some pitchers can throw one prior to that age. Every pitch you see in baseball you also have in softball.

As a matter of fact you can even throw a curve in slow pitch softball. I swear...check it out!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM