Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    DeHe #165519 08/26/13 11:02 AM
    P
    P
    Is he supposed to have a water bottle at school? I don't know if this would work for him, but for our extremely sensory dd, sucking on a straw satisfied the same type of sensory urge that caused her to chew. We also got the OT end-of-pencil chewie things that look like erasers when she was your ds' age. She ultimately grew out of her need to chew, and I will never know *exactly* why it happened, but I think that it was due to addressing her sensory needs in larger ways (she went through sensory OT, listening therapy and we did a lot of brushing/joint compressions) combined with identifying and reducing the things in her environment that ramped up her sensory needs (in her case, vision challenges and anxiety-producing situations).

Best wishes,

polarbear

polarbear #165525 08/26/13 11:42 AM
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    PB
    School encourages them to have water bottles. So we send him with one, good to hydrate and all that. He chews straws too. But he doesn't chew anything else not fingers, clothes. He picks pencil erasers apart but doesn't chew them. I don't really want to give him something specific to chew that's for chewing, seems like it would encourage it. Gum bothers me less. If he doesn't have the water bottle in his mouth he isn't chewing and its not like he is sitting there chewing - but once it goes in to drink, he chews.I actually found on amazon a kids water bottle set with a screw cap, I asked him about it and he said he was willing to try it, although at first got snarky and said he would just chew the cap and so I totally yelled at him about choking hazards!!! But I think it's worth a try, he can drink out of bottles without spilling so its more about putting the cap back on and not losing it!

Thanks!

DeHe

DeHe #165529 08/26/13 11:57 AM
    C
    C
    DS7 reduced the cuffs of his school sweaters to rags last year and has spent the summer mutilating his t-shirts - cuffs and necks. He tells me his teeth sometimes bother him and that it helps him concentrate in school (I suspect the latter might just be him telling me what he thinks I want to hear!). I've been debating the pencil chewies and necklaces - which he actually says he'd wear and use - against waiting it out. It's probably a cheaper option than repeat visits to the uniform shop! He's used a screw cap water bottle for years without spills or lost caps (or chewing it!), so I'd highly recommend that option. Now I'm going to google chewie bling...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM