Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 434 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    moomin #165159 08/22/13 07:13 PM
    M
    M
    Moomin, it sounds like your DD is completely sane, and unfortunately possessed of the (apparently mistaken) idea that she ought to be treated like a human being and listened to. Schools, in general, and many (most) adults are not accustomed to the idea of children as fully functional people with valid opinions and points of view who deserve to be listened to and treated with respect. Yes she has to learn to behave respectfully to, and clearly there are some problems there, but I would not want to squash her the way school clearly expect/need to either. If they would not treat an adult that way they should treat your DD that way.

moomin #165160 08/22/13 07:16 PM
    P
    P
    Sorry the day didn't go smoother.

I do like the part where the principal actually came. And then even more the part where her own teacher and the principal ignored her, while she was able to blow off steam at a third party. That actually sounds ideal. It's great she saw that if she throws a fit it will be taken seriously but also great that after acknowledging it they moved on with their day (and didn't reward her either by calling her dad to come get her).

I wonder what your DD would suggest for what the teacher should do with her rather than a time-out type chair, for when she is disruptive?

Seems like the teacher and principal handled the first day well (well minus the naughty chair idea). It does seem good that the teacher has lots of experience, probably has seen various other kids with behavioral issues over the years. Hopefully once they get over the initial shock of having a difficult student maybe they will have patience and see it as a challenge.

Great that your DD basically enjoyed her first day. The desire to be allowed to attend could be a great motivator for her to learn appropriate ways to express herself.

moomin #165171 08/22/13 10:06 PM
    M
    M
    I see that they placed your DD with a teacher who believes in name and shame.

It's good for veteran teaches to have a student once in awhile who makes them question what it is exactly that they're doing.

It was not the greatest start but I don't think it was the worst start either. She was able to rejoin her class and that is a good sign.

moomin #165183 08/23/13 04:42 AM
    S
    S
    Mk13, that reminds me of DD at every school visit we did!

The bad girl chair etc would for me mean a meeting discussing their discipline philosophy and plan because, and I'm sorry but as a mom and teacher I can't fathom it, WTF?! Honestly my kid would be out of there. And my husband would probably be reading them the riot act. There's just so much (as in counter to all child development and educational research) wrong with that! She did expect to be treated like a person frown I am glad she seems to be able to bounce back from that.

moomin #165187 08/23/13 05:38 AM
    D
    D
    Honestly even today I am still just shocked and horrified at the "bad girl chair". Obviously your dd shouldn't have thrown the chair but wow. And, esp. as a Spanish teacher, I would so love to read your dd's letter, and to see the expression on the adult's faces when they read it. I hope today goes better for her.

moomin #165189 08/23/13 05:40 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by moomin
    Then *&^$ got real.

I have to say that this made me laugh, and I admire your ability to maintain a sense of humor in a difficult situation. I would really love to meet your dd.

moomin #165197 08/23/13 06:21 AM
    D
    D
    deacongirl: She wrote:

Querida Sra. ___________,

Lo siento que yo grité, y lloré, y tiré mis lentes y la silla. Estaba enojado. No soy una chica mala. Mi papa dice que soy una niña buena cuando hago cosas buenas. Voy a tratar de hacer mejor hoy.
    Besos,
    DD

Honestly--"no soy una chica mala" just brought tears to my eyes. Your poor dd. A teacher who does not respond well to that would have a heart of stone. I really hope she has a better day today.

moomin #165199 08/23/13 06:29 AM
    D
    D
    No soy una chica mala.

And that is also very heartening in its way.

"It's not your fault, it's your challenge" is what we say at our house about behavior that's outside the norm. One still has to try to follow the social rules, but it's SO important to acknowledge repeatedly that one is not a bad person even if these lessons aren't easy.

DeeDee

moomin #165201 08/23/13 06:35 AM
    Oh moomin... I don't even have words. I feel like you might get lucky, once or twice, over the course of your daughter's education and get a teacher who is a match for her. But I doubt this is the year!

Her letter just kills me, btw!

~amy
    moomin #165209 08/23/13 07:51 AM
    Ella no es una chica mala.

I'm glad that SHE knows this, too. I certainly hope that she has a better day, Moomin.

I have to agree that it DOES sound like a Ramona Quimby day.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM