Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Val #164777 08/19/13 12:12 PM
    somewhereonearth-- I think that what I'm suggesting isn't that it's always TRUE...

but, as geofizz notes as well--

nothing will be improved if you honestly believe your situation to be inherently and irretrievably "adversarial" with your child's school-- regardless of whether or not it seems true.

Mostly, a lack of cooperation indicates ignorance, not malice. (repeat internally as needed... LOL-- as MoN reports, this kind of thing DOES get results. They are always better than they would have been if you assume that interactions will be hostile... they just may not be what you'd like.)

Also-- know what your personal Rubicon is. Do not share that information with anyone outside of your family (and advocate/legal representative)-- but know what that is, and what plan B looks like. Be willing and able to walk away from plan A if/when it happens.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    G
    G
    Master of none, way to go. It's great news that you've gotten your relative the necessary services. I'm also finding that these skills transfer. At the moment, I'm using them daily with contractors as we do a house renovation! Everyone's a professional. Everyone has certain constraints that tie their hands. Everyone wants to do the right thing. It's helping. Or so I tell myself. wink

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    nothing will be improved if you honestly believe your situation to be inherently and irretrievably "adversarial" with your child's school-- regardless of whether or not it seems true.

Yes, well stated.

I must admit, when I started with the "burn no bridges" matra, I did not honestly believe that the staff had my child's best interest at heart. I have, however, learned to view the staff as having my child's best interest at heart. Maybe I'm deluding myself, but it really does feel as though that my attitude has made it so.

Hard data, as others have mentioned, have certainly greased the wheels.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by master of none
    It seems that learning advocacy strategies can carry over to other uses! Just succeeded in getting a mentally ill relative into treatment after many many denials. Done by the "attitude of gratitude" while secretly screaming inside "HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THIS?" If I hadn't spent all these years honing my skills, I can't imagine the success against all odds.

This is really great. Thank you.

Congrats, MON. That's really wonderful!

Val #165489 08/26/13 04:58 AM
    U
    U
    Cross your fingers for us. The K classes are being completely reshuffled this week. If DS does not end up where we want him this will be a time to advocate. Ugh.

Val #165494 08/26/13 06:08 AM
    D
    D
    Everything crossed, Ultra.

DeeDee

Val #165533 08/26/13 12:27 PM
    U
    U
    @#$!@#!^&*!

Advocacy, here we come. frown

Val #165538 08/26/13 12:43 PM
    D
    D
    Maintain positive problem-solving attitude, full speed ahead.

DeeDee

Val #165552 08/26/13 01:55 PM
    Deep breath and sleeves up, ultramarina. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val #165679 08/27/13 04:57 PM
    S
    S
    I've been back over this thread and few others in anticipation of our big meeting tomorrow. DS7 was subject accelerated once a week last year. The school went back and forth and has finally decided to not to continue to accelerate him. They got a fancy new fangled differentiation program for the whole school and no one needs acceleration anymore! So, DS7 will effectively be held back by a few years and stay with his classmates but the differentiation will be so awesome he won't even notice a thing!

Sorry for the sarcasm. Anyway, DH and I have a well researched plan in place to counter the school's backtracking. Part of our problem is that I didn't realize soon enough, last year, that the school was just blowing smoke and nothing was going to happen. So, I didn't get to look around at other schools until a month ago. I did find a good private montessori that claims to provide all the acceleration we need, but I'm not really sure about it. I feel like I need more time.

I guess I'm writing just to thank everyone for contributing to this and other advocacy threads. Wish us luck. Hopefully I won't cry at this meeting tomorrow.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM