Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #16445 05/22/08 04:37 AM
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hello ladies ... back again!

I'm sure many of you remember me and ds ... I had to take a little break from gifted board posting, I was driving myself nuts with worrying and needed to step back a bit!

An intro for those who don't know us, and a brief update ...

I have one DS, who I'll refer to by his new nn for my boards -- Kindergamer, nn KG. KG just turned 6 and was tested last year with the WPPSI and the WIAT -- FSIQ 148, WIAT >99.9 percentile for both reading and math composite. He's a nutter of a child and a lot of fun to have around.

He's finishing public K now ... we battled all winter long with his school, trying to secure some sort of differentiation with him. He's in a low-ball estimate reading group, and they're refusing any math differentiation at all. Frustrated, we finally turned to private school this spring, and KG's been accepted to one of the private gifted schools near us.

We're waiting for a spot to open -- he's top of the wait list, but it *is* a wait list. The school said they're still waiting on a few families so there's a chance he'll be in this fall ... probably, though, it'll be the 2009-2010 school year. They're opening a new first/second grade classroom that year (they have two-grade homerooms and then divide into groups of 3-4 children based on ability for reading and math), so he'll definitely be in for that year, if not before.

KG was turned down for DYS in December, I'm guessing because his WPPSI score wasn't *quite* there ... I'm toying seriously with having him do the WISC now that he's six to try and do away with ceiling issues on the WPPSI (from what I understand of his scores, he hit 6 ceilings). I've spoken with a local tester who's experienced with gifted kids, knows we're thinking potential Davidson's, and seems really excited to work with KG. But that's still a maybe. Not sure if it's really necessary or not. I *am* sort of curious to see what he'd do with a higher ceiling.

So ... hi! Sorry for the leave of absence, just needed a break. I was getting so uber-frustrated with his public school and getting absolutely nowhere with them. Now, with an end in sight, I think I can be around a little more. I don't claim to be as knowledgeable as most of the lovely ladies on this board, but every now and then I'll have something to add! smile

Mia
    Mia #16447 05/22/08 04:46 AM
    Welcome back! Happy to have you, and happy that KG has a potential spot in a school that's a better fit for him.

How are you feeling about it all?

Kriston
    Dottie #16451 05/22/08 05:04 AM
    Hello! Sorry to read about banging your head against the school wall. I'll keep my fingers crossed for KG getting into the new school in the Fall.

Good to see you back. Fingers crossed DS will get into the gt school.

LMom
    Mia #16466 05/22/08 07:41 AM
    K
    K
    Hi Mia! Welcome back. We've also been a bit MIA lately too, due to good weather, no news on the school front, and my daughter is done with preschool for the year.

We were sitting out a waiting list all year and never got our phone call. Hope that list moves fast for you!

kimck #16468 05/22/08 07:46 AM
    You've been a bit MIA or a bit Mia? LOL!

(Sorry. I'm straightening up now. Honest. :p )

Kriston
    Kriston #16470 05/22/08 07:49 AM
    LOL!

Mia, I'm glad your back! Know what you mean about getting overwhelmed with stuff.
    Stick around awhile!

Neato

Kriston #16507 05/22/08 09:49 AM
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    You've been a bit MIA or a bit Mia? LOL!

LOLOL, Kriston -- a bit of both, apparently! laugh

Thanks for the welcome back!

Kriston -- I'm feeling good about the whole thing. Not so warm and fuzzy about the tuition, mind you ... but warm and fuzzy about the new school! We'll see if that lasts. laugh The place he's going to be going is supposed to be really good, but you know how these things go. I have high hopes, though.

I'll feel way better once he's actually *started* there, still seems too good to be true! Ability grouping, moving between groups as they finish material at their own pace, etc. We'll see.

I think one of the coolest things is that they have drama as a "regular special", twice a week or something. He'll *love* that -- if ever a boy was dramatic, it's KG. laugh

Mia

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM