Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #16431 05/21/08 07:52 PM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Not sure if this has been posted yet but it was pretty quick and easy.

DS5 is an ETJ (Extraverted Thinking Judging) type. Some of the characteristics sounded like him.

Here is the link (it is labeled for ages 7-12 but there are I don't know choices for things that may not be applicable for the younger children)

Personality Page Link

Crisc
    You rock crisc! I was looking for a test for kids....bookmarking now!!!!

Ooooh! I have been trying to get my hands on a personality test for kids, but to no avail. Thanks a ton for this! I'm hoping I can adapt it to give to DS4 (who was DS3 until recently).

Thanks muchly!!!

Kriston
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just did it again with my DD (almost 4) in mind. There were a few that I couldn't answer but was able to get a type of ESP (Extraverted Sensing Perceiving) with only a few guesses.

Crisc
    acs Offline
    ENP. Absolutely, completely, no doubt about it!

I got EFJ for DS4, and the description seems right.

In a household full of nothing but INTJs, he's got a rough row to hoe, I'm afraid!

It helps to see what the site says he needs to thrive. Maybe this knowledge will help me cut down on the dreaded Rampant Emotionalism that DS4 is so famous for.

Great big fluffy hairy thank yous, crisc! smile

Kriston
    ENP here too!!!! (for DS10)

acs Offline
    I know that part of the reason DS thrives in public school is his personality ENP. Relentlessly energetic, cheerful, optimistic and socially aware.

I would be interested to see how personality correlates with which school environment is best. I guess this is part of what D. Ruff does.

S
    S
    ENP (DS 6.8) here as well! No wonder we butt heads - I'm INTJ all the way! It would be interesting to see a study of gifted children and their personality types and the correlation. His daddy is INFP, I think. Wonder if one pesonality type is dominant in gifted kids?

Thanks crisc. Very insightful. Of course, mine is in bed so I did it based on my answers alone. I think I'll have him answer it and see what comes out. I gotta get to bed. 'Night.

Last edited by squirt; 05/21/08 08:20 PM.
    E
    E
    ENP all the way here as well for DS 9 smile

What's with all the "E" kids born to "I" parents?

Curious...

Kriston
    Okay, I'm going to give it to C-dog right now, will report back.

K
    K
    DS7 is ESP! From another generally "I" parent.

Think it's just because Es are more common than Is? So chances are good that an I parent is going to have an E kid?

Dunno. It just seems like the apple is falling pretty far from that tree! confused

Kriston
    EFJ for GS8, but I'm wondering if some of his character traits are formed from his past environment & will gradually change; or are these traits who he is?

Kriston!! DD5 is EFJ!! Shall we look into reception halls or is that jumping the gun!

DD8 is ITP. Totally!

I do think these are subject to change as the little darlings grow and change themselves!

Time will tell, let's all check back in 15 years and do it again.
    smile

A
    A
    THANKS -cant wait to try it!

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    What's with all the "E" kids born to "I" parents?

Curious...

I think it is just to drive us nuts smile

A
    A
    ENP for DD9 too. Kriston, I'm with you what are all those 'E's doing here? Karmically dropped in to get us out of our houses?

I'm ready to name the grandkids, 'Neato! And DS4 doesn't hate girls anymore, so we're halfway there!

grin

Kriston
    E
    E
    My husband did it for DS and came out the same as I did. I'm going to let DS try it after school.

No, but it's a good idea to get a second opinion. I'll have DH try it this weekend.

I took the test myself out of curiosity, and I came out an ITP, not an ITJ. Granted, I'm always right on the border of J and P when I take the adult version, but I am *always* a J. I've never been anything else, for as long as I can remember.

That makes me raise an eyebrow a bit. The INTJ description is more accurate of me, I think. I'm a messy but organized person because I'm visually oriented, and my messiness drives me nuts. So I'm a J with P tendencies. This test ignores all that in a way that the adult version doesn't. So I wonder if some of the organization-centered questions on the kids' test don't necessarily apply as we get older.

Testing again in 15 years and meeting back here sounds good to me! laugh

Kriston
    DS came out ETJ on this one. It doesn't quite fit in some areas.

acs Offline
    Kriston, this bugged me to. Through a weird series of events, I went hiking with be an eminent Jungian analyst a few weeks ago. I drilled him on this whole issue because my type has been hard to pin down. He told me that as we get older we learn to compensate for our weaknesses making it hard to always tell what your original type is. He pegged me for a "true" ENFP, even though I test as a INFJ. He asked me if I was organized (that goes more with INFJ) and I told him about all my lists. He said that the way I am organized is probably as a compensitory mechanism for my inherant disorganized ENFP nature. I had learned to be organized, so I would look less ENFP-ish. But in my core I was still really ENFP.

If this is true, then the kid version may actually be your "truer" nature, but we mature, and get more well-rounded as we get older. Which is a good thing!

Last edited by acs; 05/22/08 09:49 AM. Reason: Taking the extra "n" out of Krinston. LOL
    That's very helpful, acs. Thanks!

Kriston
    Fascinating!

I got ESP for my son, but I don't think that suits him. I disagree with the details presented for this personality type.

L
    L
    My son got ESP also and so much of it does not fit at all. There are things on the list that were opposite from the way we answered. For example, it says "they love to participate in sports and other physical activities" and this is so not true of my son. We had checked "a male who is not overly interested sports." He does not have a lot of energy and he is definitely not a thrill seeker and he is not impulsive at all. He does not have difficulty forseeing the consequences of his actions, in fact he seems more aware of this than his much older sister. It also lists as a potential weakness that they do not have the ability to use their intuition at all or extrapolate anything from one situation to another and this is the complete opposite of my son who has amazing intuition to the point that he sometimes finishes our sentences without being given any clues. This sometimes creeps his sister out and there have been times when it did me too. In fact, it was this ability that made me wonder if he was really reading some words at 2 when I was also looking at the page and it wasn't until he read something that I had never looked at that I was completely sure that there wasn't something really weird going on. I think some of it is that he notices very subtle expressions that most people aren't aware of. He thinks I am very easy to read and he says that I get a certain look when I am thinking of something to post on the message boards. He used this ability to communicate with his grandmother who could not speak very well after her surgery years ago when he was just 4 1/2. He has also used this weird intuition thing with his dad, but not as much as with me or his sister. When we ask him how he does it he just laughs and says "I keep telling you I'm psychic."

So when I first saw "ESP" I thought wow, they sure got it right with him, but after reading everything else, there is too much that does not fit, especially the part about being coordinated and agile and learning new physical tasks with speed and accuracy. We both had to laugh at that one.

ACS-Yes! Totally!
    Kriston- after DD8 was born I was soooo tired. I used to lay on the couch when she was asleep (which wasn't often) and stare at barely there smudges and marks on the wall. It annoyed me greatly, oddly, I was never motivated to actually get up and clean them!
    I get more sleep now, my house is much better now!

According to the test DS5 is ISJ. My guess would be that he is INTJ just like DH and I.

LMom
    Q
    Q
    ENP, although I haven't read the descriptions carefully yet...

crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I wanted to just bump this up for some of the new members.

I also did both DS6 and DD4 again since it was a year ago (and I know that it was hard to answer some questions for DD4) and got the exact same results I had posted last year.

DS6.5 = ETJ
    DD4 (almost 5)= ESP

Since I am an INTJ, it explains a lot about why I sometimes can't relate to my "E" children. smile

Last edited by crisc; 04/30/09 01:14 PM.

Crisc
    W
    W
    Thanks for the update for the new folks. DD 11 is ITP :)explains a lot!

Yes, thanks, very coool! DS8 appears to be ENP, based on the description, I think I am too...

Isa Offline
    Thanks very much for posting this site smile

DD5.5 is ENP and this fits her to to a t !

DS2.7 is CCE = Cute Cyclone Earthquake ...

R
    R
    Spot-on for our boy. Thanks!

Originally Posted by crisc
    I wanted to just bump this up for some of the new members.
    smile

crisc - thanks! I almost started a new thread about this.

P.S. I wanted to out myself as an organized ENFP (almost INFP).

Here's an abstract on some recent (ish) research done on gifties and Myers-Briggs:

Gifted Child Quarterly, Vol. 51, No. 3, 285-294 (2007)
    DOI: 10.1177/0016986207302723

Psychological Types of Academically Gifted Adolescents
    Tracy L. Cross
    Ball State University

Kristie L. Speirs Neumeister

Ball State University

Jerrell C. Cassady

Ball State University

This study provides descriptive information about the psychological types of a sample of 931 gifted adolescents who attended a public residential academy. Psychological types are assessed with the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). The MBTI reports on four pairs of personality types: Extraversion/Introversion (E/I), Sensing/Intuition (S/N), Thinking/Feeling (T/F), and Judging/Perceiving (J/P). Overall, the most common types reported by this sample were INTJ, INTP, INFP, ENFP, and ENTP. Comparisons between gifted and norming samples are reported. Gender differences for the gifted sample were found on E/I, with males orienting toward I and females orienting toward E. Gender-specific comparisons between gifted and norming samples reveal that gifted females had a greater tendency toward I and T, and gifted males had a greater tendency for I. Overall, both genders in the gifted sample tended to be NP types.

Key Words: gifted � gifted adolescents � personality � Myers-Briggs

K
    K
    My 8 year old son is ENP too. Perfect description of him. I think he will be ENTP as he matures, but we'll see.

B
    B
    She's an INTP (but maybe an INFP, it was borderline)! She had the entire family take the test about a year ago, and we all got I's (our family just is not very sociable). The other letters were all over the place/

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    Thank you for the link! I guess we have all "I"s in the family.
    DS8 = INJ
    DD11 = IFP
    Both dh and I are "I" too. We did the adult test. In case anyone is interested. http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM