Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    i think that's totally natural - so let yourself feel it, but pretty soon you'll get to move into the "action" phase and it's bound to feel a lot better once you're really into it. all the best!

Exactly!

I remember diagnoses day (all three of them) very well. The dyslexia diagnosis was the hardest. I cried in the car on the way home and felt, for a week, like I had been punched in the stomach. Then, I regrouped and read everything I could about it. What made it easier to deal with was DD's elation at finally having an explanation for her struggles.

DS4 just had his psych-ed last week. I'm not sure how I am going to last until we get the results. Psyching myself up for it this time and expecting that he will be red-flagged for it. But, this time we are coming out swinging in primary rather than feeling like horrible parents in 4th grade!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    G
    gabalyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you all so much!

G
    gabalyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Okay, here's a funny story. Because I have suspected this for so long, I have been reading about dyslexia for about a year. I see my son as having many of the strengths that are commonly associated with dyslexia, such as strong spatial skills and creativity. He knows I have suspected dyslexia, and I have been careful to tell him about the good things about dyslexia, as well as suggesting it might explain his troubles with reading and spelling. He now thinks of dyslexics as especially creative, talented people. So after I had the conversation with the tester today, and told him that he did indeed have dyslexia, he actually pumped his fist and shouted, "yes!"

D
    D
    If you need to grieve, do that. (An autism mom I respect once said, "every tear I shed for my child is another jewel in my shield." Sometimes that's how it is.)

But know this: dyslexia is remediable. You'll find a path forward, and your child will figure out how to manage. Don't worry too much about far-ahead roadblocks; solve the immediate problems as you can, and know that things will be better for your having done so.

You'll get there.

DeeDee

D
    D
    Originally Posted by gabalyn
    He now thinks of dyslexics as especially creative, talented people. So after I had the conversation with the tester today, and told him that he did indeed have dyslexia, he actually pumped his fist and shouted, "yes!"

Love it.

I find that we walk this line regarding our DS's autism. On one hand, we have made him aware of all the voices that call autism a difference instead of a disability; he embraces this idea. On the other hand, very often the autism is truly in his way, and then it's a disability. We talk about how it can be both, and how if he works on it, the disability parts may fade, leaving him with something that's mostly just a difference. That is what we're aiming for, and how we frame it. DS is 11, so we can get that detailed.

Anyhow: yes, better to know the pros and cons than to think of oneself as damaged goods! Because it's not damage; it's how one is made, and it's fine that way, even if it brings challenges.

DeeDee

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs