Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    jen8 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    My 12 year old son has Aspergers and we are in the process of finding him placement within the Atlanta Public School system. We just had his first IEP meeting and the staff is trying to find an appropriate place for him. He needs a self contained class room with one on one instruction (or nearly one on one). His past catagory of service was EBD but we're getting it revised to Autism/OHI. His private school with a four to one ratio closed just this summer. There have to be other kids who have high functioning autism who go to Atlanta Public Schools! Not all parents can afford private school. Where are middle school students being placed when there are emotional, behavioral needs, as well as, sensory and gifted/high IQ needs (90th percentile) which need to be met? Thanks

D
    D
    Bumping. Does anyone have any advice for this poster?

D
    D
    Hi Jen8,

I would ask that question of the school district, whatever person is in charge of Intervention Services.

In our district, the kids with disabilities that affect education most strongly are typically clustered: all the deaf kids are mainstreamed at one particular elementary, the autistic kids at another. I am not recommending this practice; but suggesting that if that's the case where you are, you want to find the middle school fed by the place where the elementary autistic students are clustered.

I would not want my child with autism in an ED program; the needs are different.

Do you have a private therapy team who can advise on school placement? We bring ours to all meetings. It has helped ensure appropriate placements.

Is there a local parent support group? Or an advocate who has worked with a lot of people in your district? Both of those could help you get the lay of the land of what's "typically done" and what's possible.

HTH,
    DeeDee

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs