Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    DeeDee #163286 07/30/13 12:23 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Ultra, I'm not second-guessing your choice for your DD, but wanting to know your logic here. I have always felt in making these (harrrrrd) choices for my DS that it's a safer bet to go with RX meds that have been long studied, known to not be addictive, etc. rather than unregulated and less-studied herbals/naturals. Can you explain a bit more?

DeeDee

I can't answer for ultra (obviously! LOL) but this http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Should_children_take_antidepressants.htm is just one of many scary things I have read about anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds for children. After reading everything here - the rhodiola still seems safer and more mild to me... My DS doesn't seem to strenuously need a particularly strong rx for anxiety and honestly from everyhting I have read and been advised by medical professionals he just isn't close to bad enough to take the risk. On a whim I tried the rhodiola on the advice of another mom in a similar situation with a 2e kid (who incidently is American but with Russian parentage and well you get the idea). I researched it, read about it, talked with her... tried it. And it worked - and I didn't notice any side effects and he seemed fine when I weaned him off in May. That's just my non-scientific, personal perspective. My poor kid is very stressed honestly. I know that sounds ... well I am not sure ow it sounds but he is. He's hard on himself and being 2e as many of you know can really be anxiety produicng and stressful... he was sad and irritable but not so bad off that I thought he needed some scary prescription antidepressants. Personally I think my little guy will be okay as he 'grows into' his diability and as he gets to an age when things like handwriting stop being such a big deal, ykim? In the meantime, using rhodiola temproarily to help him through the stressful months seems harmless and it did work. So, totally not arguing here and not going back on firth or who has more scientific evidence in their favor or anything like that... just giving you personal experience and feelings to your question of 'why.'

I
    I
    Oh and sorry for typos ... I am a terrible typist

I
    I
    Oh and I see we cross-posted!

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Updating on this:

I realize this thread became somewhat controversial, but wanted to provide an update. DD9 is still taking the rhodiola and still doing MUCH better. We have had a few minor hiccups on return to school, but overall I would still say her issues are 50-60% improved, if not more. It is, of course, possible that there is some other reason behind this--maturation? Better teacher fit? (she does have a GREAT teacher this year) Alignment of the stars? But it's hard not to attribute it to the rhodiola. We did take a one-week break last month (this is recommended as an occasional "reboot") and it was a harder week than usual.

I have found this page and suspect it is probably overcautious, but am keeping it in mind for any time DD takes other medication:

http://www.sharecare.com/health/herbal-supplements/what-medications-interact-rhodiola-supplements;jsessionid=40F10C30976AE214814B4DD885DE5467

It's really lovely to be enjoying our time with her more and to see her happier.

What is interesting is that DS5's behavior seems as though it had deteriorated since DD has been "better." I almost feel like he notices there is more "space" for him to act out and takes it accordingly. I know her behavior was very hard on him because he used to talk about this and how it made him sad. frown In a way this may be healthy so that he has less "best little boy in the world" syndrome, but I worry a little that it may be going too far in the other direction. His behavior at school is uniformly excellent, though.

N
    N
    Glad to hear you guys are doing well!

We've been trying rhodiola for a month or two now, DS11 and me both, and I'm cautiously optimistic. I feel like it helps me, and my impression is that it helps him. We are continuing to take it, and we'll see what we think as it goes along.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM