Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 307 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    When ds6 was tested by neuropsych in March, she recommended second opinion with a developmental optometrist (which is now doing VT) and an OT consult for poor handwriting/ poor fine motor skills. The OT we were to see doesn't accept insurance, so we went to someone who did and is affiliated with the local Children's hospital. However, now I'm afraid we wasted our time. She agreed that his writing hand is weaker, but he is "on grade level". I knew he was grade level, but was told by neuropsych that if he did not receive OT, he would be behind in a year.

The OT also did not think his vision problem impacted school work- which I know is not true.

So, now, I am back to the original place with OT wondering if I should wait until after VT to see if that solves the handwriting issue or should I bring him to the OT who doesn't accept insurance? Is it possible the otherOT will have more experience with a gifted kid? I don't want to pursue something if it is truly not a problem, but I want to set him up to succeed. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

M
    M
    Can you get an OT eval through the school? DS4.11 will be getting OT for writing from the school therapist. He has regular (private) OT for sensory issues and while his therapist is great and does do writing skills with other kids, she didn't find him be very much behind yet the school did! Which is strange because from what I've seen, school is usually the last one to jump in but in case of writing, they are willing to help right from the start.

As for Children's hospitals, I can see how they are great for kids with more complicated issues but when we went there for an Autism eval with the older son the only person we got to work with was an intern and now we're back at the beginning, looking for more answers, this time going through the University of Chicago, since they do a lot of research on Autism. But now I'm side tracking ... just wanted to give my opinion of going to Children's for something less severe.

M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks for the thoughts and advice.

The OT we saw "used to work closely with schools". Yet, I'm sure they are used to seeing more complex, physically challenged kids.

Thanks Portia for talking about the gap. This is how it was explained to me by the neuropsych. I actually did try to explain this to the OT, but it fell on deaf ears.

MON- as for name of specifics, I'm not sure. I would say some fine motor- playing with putty, twirling a pencil (which ds begged the whole time to do with his R hand) she was assessing L, because he writes lefty. Then, I think visual motor- drawing a line and has to stay in gray box, copying easy patterns. (I tried to explain during neuropsych testing, he could not replicate pictures like a circle with an t in the middle, or a square inside a triangle- wrong size, wrong place, no angles to shapes that required them.) she did have him copy a sentence about sharks and was impressed that he memorized the sentence and rewrote it with correct spelling- as a rising 1st grader.

Mk13- school will definitely NOT evaluate, because he is above grade level. School hasn't seen any problems, yet, principal is onboard with him needing differentiation and challenge.

Overall, I'm hoping this OT may give us exercises to do at home. Then, recontact the original OT that was recommendation. Guess you get what you pay for, right?

Thanks again. This board has been a lifesaver for me the past year! Hoping the upcoming school year will be better!

M
    M
    Our OT does a whole lot of standardized tests, ranging from timed precision line drawing & timed writing, to a whole lot of coordination tests that I would probably fail myself. It doesn't sound like this assessment you had done was a full sensory profile?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations