Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    #162249 07/16/13 01:57 AM
    A
    A
    When my DD6 starts acting cranky, I've realized what she really needs is a ginormous cuddle and some sympathy. There's no point in me lecturing her because she's well-aware of every single house rule - of course she only needs to hear things once and she'll remember them in fine detail! laugh (Which is why she's actually a delight 99% of the time.) It just makes her madder to be told things she already knows!
    So I eventually figured out that a sit down on her bed and a nice bear-hug and some back-rubbing and soothing oh-dear-that's-no-good noises while she complains that she doesn't know why she's angry she just is, followed by some story-reading or other personal attention to fill up the old emotional tank actually fixes the problem better and faster than anything. Then she's back to her usual delightful rule-abiding self again. I figure we're all allowed a bad day without judgement every once in a while!
    Good luck, I hope it all improves smile

#162251 07/16/13 02:40 AM
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Thanks, AvoCado, that's great advice. I usually do that kind of thing. Excuses: having a half human, half monkey 16 month old gives me less patience lol. I will make more effort smile

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    HG kids, IMO, probably all have elements of ADD-like behavior by virtue of that asynchrony. We simply expect synchronous development, and we naturally assume that unless we are focused on that NOT being the case.

Yes.... (sigh). It wasn't until DS9's diagnosis that I began to wonder if I have it too (I'm HG). Previously I've written off my restlessness and other quirks as being a GT thing.

So... DD9 has a dx, and DD10 and myself have truckloads of symptoms.

I discipline bad behaviour. It's that simple. I give a warning (mommy STERN voice) and then I come down like a load of bricks. It might not be the most compassionate way given my kids' alternative cognitive needs, but it works. They're both extremely sensitive and aren't keen on angry mom.

As for sleep... meh. Whatever. I let them read into the wee hours of the night in their rooms. It's all good. DD10 eats books like they`re crackers, so I don`t think I could stop her anyway. DS9 is a little better in that he doesn't read for as long, and then will tuck himself in and fall asleep.

They've gotten more manageable as they've gotten older, which is nice smile

Btw Squishys when my DD10 was 5, her behaviour was AWFUL. I can't believe how much she's calmed down. It was really, really... (sigh) INTENSE. Now she's still wired, but much happier (I think because she can self-direct her mental energy).

Last edited by CCN; 07/16/13 07:09 AM.
    CCN #162371 07/17/13 03:04 AM
    P
    P
    We had the day from hell today. I felt sick and had a headache, ds6 encropresis was playing up (4 changes of undies and trousers for heavens sake will it ever end) and they were both clingy and aguementative. It ended badly but the point I am trying to make is how stressed are you. You say you can't afford certain classes from next year, does this indicate major financial stress, or a health issue affecting work or ... My kids were hellish today because they knew I was partially absent and they wanted to be sure I didn't forget them if I had actively engaged in something with them I would have still felt dreadful but they may have been calmer.

#162372 07/17/13 03:38 AM
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    No major stresses. By not being able to afford it, I actually me I really can't afford now! We're dipping into our savings (which is for our new house, so we really can't endlessly take from it), and the tuition is really expensive. I have thought of an idea, however: an organisation provides financial grants for kids doing some sort of academics beyond their age level that isn't a part of school, so I am hoping to apply and receive. I can't rely upon that happening, though.

Things have calmed down a bit since my original post. Maybe he was dreading upcoming holidays, which are usually boring but haven't been so far. I have no idea. And, despite his incompetent teacher, he is looking forward to going back to school next week.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM