Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Mana
    I only skimmed the article but I can see how his model can be a beginning of a very slippery slope as he seems to equate giftedness with being highly determined and productive.
    Yeah, I think that the things that leave me leery of Renzulli's model are that he seems to require performance to be considered gifted and that he defines it a bit broadly (above avg ability but not necessarily superior ability). As the parent of a very 2e kid, I do appreciate there being more than one path in to the GT classes, but I also worry that allowing for kids to be considered gifted even without superior ability allows for GT programs such as we have where I live where most of the kids got in because teachers who don't understand the difference between gifted and high achiever thought they were gifted.

Have you all read these two articles by Jim Delisle?

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/defining_moment.htm

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2010/03/31/27delisle_ep.h29.html?print=1&override=web

The second one I can't seem to find in its entirety free online anymore, but he is essentially arguing that definitions like Renzulli's and the multiple intelligences model muddy the waters and that we need to get back to defining gifted as a small select group of kids who are intellectually superior not possessed of a mulitude of talents.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Originally Posted by Mana
    I only skimmed the article but I can see how his model can be a beginning of a very slippery slope as he seems to equate giftedness with being highly determined and productive.
    Yeah, I think that the things that leave me leery of Renzulli's model are that he seems to require performance to be considered gifted and that he defines it a bit broadly (above avg ability but not necessarily superior ability). As the parent of a very 2e kid, I do appreciate there being more than one path in to the GT classes, but I also worry that allowing for kids to be considered gifted even without superior ability allows for GT programs such as we have where I live where most of the kids got in because teachers who don't understand the difference between gifted and high achiever thought they were gifted.

Have you all read these two articles by Jim Delisle?

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/defining_moment.htm

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2010/03/31/27delisle_ep.h29.html?print=1&override=web

The second one I can't seem to find in its entirety free online anymore, but he is essentially arguing that definitions like Renzulli's and the multiple intelligences model muddy the waters and that we need to get back to defining gifted as a small select group of kids who are intellectually superior not possessed of a mulitude of talents.

I agree with that last statement you made (paraphrasing the author) and perhaps we need to change the name to cognitively advanced rather than gifted. Though the problem with that is it would potentially exclude too many lower SES children.

Last edited by KADmom; 07/15/13 05:38 AM.
    Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM