Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Z
    Z
    Eek, I've been iPadded! I don't like auto-correct. I don't mind suggestions, but to change it out. Yes, gradeless was the intended word. (Just turned it off, yay)

Originally Posted by Mk13
    erich - I am not biased. I just gave my personal experience and pointed out the fact that over there starting with academics later did not negatively affect the future results. I am not really trying to compare medal counts. Besides, the country has 10 million people (used to have just under 15 million before the split) doesn't quite compare to Russia, USA or China. The truth is, there were and are plenty of gifted people who never suffered due to lack of early academics.

I do believe in exposing all kids and especially gifted kids who crave to learn and explore to the outside world as much as possible so they can absorb all the information and knowledge they want but I don't necessarily believe they need to do that in a formal pre-school setting.

Please do some simple fact check before elaborate the argument. We have countries similar the size of CZE produced tremendous math talents:

Hungary 77 IMO gold metals,
    Romania 73,
    Bulgaria 53,
    Korea 50,
    Vietnam 46.

Unfortunately, CZE ranked closer to these following countries in terms of math talent performance: Argentina, Peru, Mongolia, Georgia, Greece, and Mexico. If you are not biased, please compare math education in CZE to those countries.

http://www.imo-official.org/results_country.aspx?column=awards&order=desc

M
    M
    erich - I was just giving an example. Math and science was the first thing that came to my mind because that's the gifted school I went to. Nothing else behind it. You're reading too much in what I wrote and I only mentioned all of it in respect to the comment about Finland. Nothing more, nothing less. Not all gifted people need or want to win a medal.

But back to the topic of early academic education ... forget Czechoslovakia / Czech Republic ... Bulgaria's compulsory education starts at 7 years old, Romania's "School Preparation Class" is for 6-7 year olds, Hungary's primary education starts after they turn 6 or when they turn 7 if their birthday is after May 31st (though their last year of preschool is mandatory)... so the medal count you posted still supports my point of early academics not being that necessary. The preschool / Kindergarten age kids focus on learning social skills but academics don't usually start until they enter elementary school.

Last edited by Mk13; 07/06/13 05:59 PM.
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Should "graceless school" be "gradeless school"?
    Maybe it's what the Christian Preschool calls the non-Christian Preschool.

Now that's funny

Become what you are
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    erich - I was just giving an example. Math and science was the first thing that came to my mind because that's the gifted school I went to. Nothing else behind it. You're reading too much in what I wrote and I only mentioned all of it in respect to the comment about Finland. Nothing more, nothing less. Not all gifted people need or want to win a medal.

But back to the topic of early academic education ... forget Czechoslovakia / Czech Republic ... Bulgaria's compulsory education starts at 7 years old, Romania's "School Preparation Class" is for 6-7 year olds, Hungary's primary education starts after they turn 6 or when they turn 7 if their birthday is after May 31st (though their last year of preschool is mandatory)... so the medal count you posted still supports my point of early academics not being that necessary. The preschool / Kindergarten age kids focus on learning social skills but academics don't usually start until they enter elementary school.

Russian and Chinese primary education start at age 7-8. But traditional home schoolings start as early as 2-3 years old. So when they show up for grade 1, most kids already mastered arithmatic (equals to grade3-4 level in US).

Both countries have tradition of identifying and honoring gifted kids in school. Their governments allocate more resources for those kids. Both have easily accessible local public schools specialized in gifted education, some with a shortened primary+secondary schooling (typically 12 years reduced to 8 years).

I wish that US have a supporting system for gifted kids as good as Russian and Chinese, so we parents can sit back and relax.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM