Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 366 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Does anyone know of a good online game or website where we can introduce DD9 and DD7 to some new vocabulary? Nothing too wildly advanced, mind you.

We were reading A Wrinkle In Time together and the word agog came up, which neither daughter had ever heard of, so I had them guess at the definition and then we looked it up. Their guesses were surprisingly good and we decided we would do some vocab this summer. A Wrinkle In Time is a good start for them since it does have a lot of words that they will probably not know the definitions of, but I was hoping for something else for when we are done with the book.

I was initially thinking about signing up for a "word of the day" type email and I found something for that, but I'd really like to to find a game or website that delves more into the etymology of the words. I would like it to be more game-like and fun and not just words with definitions. Hopefully someone might have some suggestions for us.

M
    M

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 06/12/13 02:19 PM.
    A
    A
    https://www.vocabulary.com is excellent (and free).

'agog' entry:
    https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/agog?family=Agog

Try the tab 'challenge' - it will teach you words, test you in various ways (which is part of teaching), keep track of your progress, choose words to be learned based on it. Create separate accounts for you and your child. You can specify which words to learn too. One good list is https://www.vocabulary.com/lists/52473#view=notes 'vocabulary.com top 1000 words'.

Last edited by arlen1; 06/12/13 08:46 PM.
    Personally, I always found it much easier to absorb new language via books or casual conversation, as opposed to attempting to just study/memorize it.

I'm sure there are plenty of online sites out there, though.

~amy
    U
    U
    I keep meaning to get one of thsoe "word a day" calendars. I know a homeschooling mom who just puts a couple of words and their definitions on a whiteboard every day. I'd like to see DD improve her vocab a little, too. For some reason it seems to be a weaker area for her, and I think it holds back her reading understanding a little. She's great on things like theme and understanding characters, but sometimes she'll miss a question because she doesn't know a word.

A
    A
    Not a website, but the leveled series of books "Words are Important" is excellent. You could probably pick up a used copy inexpensively.

Online: The NYT word of the day is free.

http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/category/word-of-the-day/

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Many years ago, I took the GRE. I used vocabulary cards to learn more vocab. Then, years later I bought a Word of the Day calendar. Many of the same words were on both.

The Word a Day calendar has lots of history about the words.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations