Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    We are on vacation in an area where I have spotty service. I will try to respond more when I am back home.

MumToThree- autonomic dysfunction goes along with EDS for some people including me. PM me if you have questions. I recently saw a neurologist for this and some of her tips have really helped.

As for whether dysgraphia/dyspraxia are related to EDS, I don't have all the answers but I am guessing that they can be related. I am thinking it would be something like EDS causing symptoms that mirror the other two.

As for me, I remember not being good at coloring even though I tried to be. I remember my friends in elementary saying my writing was messy like a boy's.

In law school, exams killed my hands. I almost couldn't finish the bar exam because my hand was barely working at the end.

I didn't know I had EDS until recently. Some of my symptoms got worse after having kids.

M
    M
    KJP - I have POTS, it was diagnosed before the EDS, so I've been researching on and off for years. It's pretty distressing to see it coming on so young, if that's what it is.

U
    U
    It is possible to have hypermobility syndrome and just hypermobility syndrome, yes? I have scored DS on some of these criteria and he certainly is very hypermobile indeed (knees, ankles, elbows, wrists, and some finger joints). But, no skin involvement at all that I can see, as I say.

I'm going to get DS checked, but my DH is feeling anxious about the EDS possibility. frown DS is actually quite athletic, so he feels really bummed at the idea that athletics might be risky or cause him pain or frequent dislocations, not to mention the other possibilities. We had a very stressful babyhood with DS due to many doctors being alarmed about his very low tone and I have always thought that we would one day find "something else," personally...

Z
    Z
    As to a dysgraphia link, my general take from personal experience and cognitive theories and much reading in the last year runs this way:
    When there is a system control failure and the automatic systems are unable to carry out the needed job, the brain might engage in more direct control. That more direct control on the one hand can bring more of the automatic brain systems under direct control and make additional resources available for general cognition. Conversely, when the specific challenged system is in use, the general cognitive resources are tapped out to directly manage that system.

So, with joint mobility issues (hypothesizing that not having typical resistance and range of motion constraints would require much more nuanced muscle control moment to moment) and vision issues you have two vectors demanding cognitive control, which means that there are few available resources to actually think about the coherent construction of what is to be written. Any sort of anxiety would likely also drag down EF resources.

M
    M
    Ultramarina my understanding is that current research shows that JHS and EDS type 3 are basically indistinguishable.

U
    U
    So if you are hypermobile, you have EDS type 3?? But aren't a LOT of people hypermobile? (so-called "double-jointed") I admit I've only done cursory reading on this so far...

Although I think it's looking more likely that DS and I have this. I also have migraines and IBS. I'm finding it extremely curious that so many of us on the board have this in the family! I wonder if there is some kind of genetic connection to intelligence? Or if it's just that people with this tend to have dysgraphia and that parents of kids with dysgraphia are more likely to end up here?

U
    U

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    That's a great link, ultramarine ... breaks it down well. I read on Facebook EDS page that there will be a genetic test available for EDS Hypermobile type within a year... I wonder if there is any truth to that...

M
    M
    I really like this page:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1279/

Also the conference notes from the most recent conferences:

http://www.ednf.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2052&Itemid=88889219

That's 2011, there are links in the side bar to other years

Re EDS and intelligence - I find it interesting too, just recently I read a theory re the dysautonomia common in EDS suggesting something to do with differences in the mylenation of nerves, which is also something I've read about studies on IQ. But haven't had time to research either.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Perhaps we are all related smile

I can imagine our long lost relatives meeting on the carnival circuit. He was a lovely contortionist known as The Human Pretzel. She was known as the amazing Mentalist celebrated as the smartest woman in the world able to perform multiple complex mental tasks simultaneously. They had a dozen kids who spread across the world creating pockets of gifted bendy people everywhere!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM