Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #15846 05/13/08 06:39 AM
    OP Offline
    This question is both for myself and I friend. We both have rising Kers. The preK teacher of her Ker told her in all her 30yrs of teaching, she had never seen a kid as advanced as he is. Our school from what I've been told has a no acceleration policy (subject or grade). They differentiate w/ reading groups at K-1 level, that's it. It's also a K-1 school only. What do you recommended for testing and at what age?

My friend's son turned 5yrs Dec 2007. My boy turned 5yrs May 2008. Would you go w/ the WIPPSI or SBIV/V this summer before school starts? The psych I used for my older son is not experienced enough to give SBV he said but could do SBIV. He didn't mention the WIPPSI.

What about achievement testing? I've read and been told the WJIII is inflated at this age but is it still worthwhile attempting to get a feel for LOG?

Thanks!
    Dazey

My son turned 5 in December as well. We tested him on the SB-V at 4 years 9 months and the WJ-III at 5 years 1 month.

IQ testing for us confirmed what I already knew--that DS was gifted. He actually scored higher than I expected though. I do think his scores are accurate though. In the last few months my son has made academic leaps and bounds. Based on his scores we changed him from a preschool/daycare to a Montessori school. I think that change in learning environment alone has really helped my son. I honestly don't know if we would have made that change without having had the testing done. It was the push I needed to advocate stronger for my son.

The achievement testing was only done to qualify for DYS. It did give my son very high math scores but I do belive they were accurate as my son seems to pick up math very easily. The WJ-III at his age didn't require him to solve multiplication or division problems for a high score (which he could have done). I guess the inflation may be because 5 years old aren't expected to read or perform mathematical operations. When they can, obviously their scores will be higher.

I also have an almost 4 year old daughter (June Birthday) and an 21 month old son and I don't think we will test them until at least the summer before K or 1st grade, if needed. At this point I doubt my daughter would cooperate with a stranger whereas my son had no issues with the tester. He loved the testing process.

Crisc
    crisc #15853 05/13/08 07:59 AM
    I guess I would ask what the purpose of the testing would be. If your school isn't going to do anything like acceleration or grade skip, then maybe there's no point in testing now. That said, we got our son tested this spring at 4.1 (Jan. birthday) because we wanted to know if he should enter Kindy early, and our district requires proof of IQ 130. He took SB-V. Based on our psych's recommendation, we will have him do achievement testing next year at 5 simply for DYS. (We're also not sending him to K early, and we'll keep our fingers crossed for accommodations.)

I think Dottie might be someone who would know best recommended times for particular IQ tests, but I think I heard 6 or 7? Also, Dottie or someone might pipe in on this, but I think I've heard SB-IV is not so great for testing gifted kids; SB-V is better.

OP Offline
    I think for me as well as my friend, the purpose would be to have the question answered about whether DS needs something more than our PS will offer. It can also be used, assuming high achievement scores, to lobby for a teacher that is skilled w/ differentiation. If all that fails, then it would give me the impetus to pull DS out and HS if he came out several grade levels ahead AND was unhappy in K. My older son, looking back, was depressed most of K. I won't let that happen to another one. But he's a different kid, very happy-go-lucky, roll with the punches and not as intellectually intense as his brother so I think K will be fun for him....although he already complains about preK. It's a play-based preK but he hasn't really connected w/ the kids and doesn't like the toys they have. He knew all his letters and sounds and that c said /k/ and /s/ by 20months, read a Bob Book (the first one) when he was 2yrs+, was doing simple addition/sub in his head just turned 2yrs old (2+1, 4-2, 1+4) w/out being taught 1to1 correspondence or addition formally, at 2yrs old used a parallelogram and triangle and said "look a trapezoid!" He then used a parallelogram, trapezoid, and triangle to make a hexagon. Yesterday I told him he had a month left in preK he told me "that's 7x4." Upon further questioning, he told me that there are 4 weeks in a month and 7days in the week so 7x4 is the number of days. Now he only goes to preK 3days/week so it should be 3x4 lol but I'll forgive him that oversight! On more than a handful of occasions, he has answered a math problem given to his 2nd grade brother and gotten it correct. I thought it was a fluke at first.

FOr instance, we were talking money and owing money and relating it to negative numbers. He now had -$2 b/c he had $2 but was given a candybar for $4 (he go the -2 on his own). He then got an allowance of $2. I asked how much money he has, the then 4yr old said "Zero dollars b/c I owe the store for the candy bar." I thought that was good reasoning skills for a young 4yr old.

Yes, I've read optimal time to test is 7yrs old b/c the WISCIV starts at 6yrs old and the kids are more mature and will perform well on the testing.

At the Parents meeting, someone asked what if my child already knows the topics you've listed for K, the teacher responded "Then your child needs to find something else to do."

Dottie #15869 05/13/08 10:13 AM
    OP Offline
    I was unsure of the SBV b/c two of my friend's boys who took it, and whom I know are HG+++, scored only 130 on it. The psych didn't recommend the SBIV b/c he said he is not DYS-approved but no the website it is listed.

Ok, so SBV (not the WIPPSI???) but not achievement testing?

Dazey

Dottie #15874 05/13/08 10:30 AM
    S
    S
    Is the ITBS an achievement test? I know it's not recognized for DYS but I'm wondering what you think of it. I've heard it is a great test for determining where a child is. I've also heard that it is an easy test and doesn't really tell you anything. Mine took it at 6 (just turned 6) and scored 99 percentile in both math and reading. The school uses it for GT screening, along with the COGAT.

Dottie #15877 05/13/08 10:44 AM
    I would stay away from SB-IV, no reason to take an outdated test. The recommendation is usually to stay away from WPPSI for gifted kids at the age of 5 due to ceilings issues and wait till they are 6 and able to take WISC-IV or to take SB-V.

That said we did WPPSI at 5:3 and it went great. Yeah, he hit ceilings but he still got great numbers. We were told that his VIQ wasn't accurate, but that was because he is bilingual. We were told to retest him at the age of 7 if want more accurate verbal score.

If DYS is one of your goals, keep in mind that the criteria for WPPSI is 150. 5 points is quite a lot. I am not sure if a score of 150 for 5 year old would be 145 for 6 year old on WISC-IV (I doubt it). I can see why they increased the requirement. If a child is tested at the age of 3 and cooperates, he/she will have a huge advantage and get higher score just thanks to the fact that lots of 3 year olds in the testing sample didn't cooperate, couldn't concentrate for too long or simply didn't care. I think this advantage decreases with the age. 5 year olds are more likely to cooperate than 3 year olds (don't tell me that's not the case, since I have high hopes that one day DS3 will be much more agreeable than he currently is).

DS5 also took WJ-III. Word of warning about that, you may have problems to get some of the composite scores at the age of 5 and especially if your child is not in K yet. They just don't have samples for it, so I would double check with the psychologist and see what exactly you will get out of it. DS5 was tested at 5:3, he was already in K and he still didn't get one of the subtests (written test, I think) and didn't get one of the composite scores and therefore the total achievement score.

Crics's son took WJ-III at 5:1 (I think), but wasn't in K yet and he missed even more scores than my son did. They both became DYS with the scores they had, but it may be something to consider.

BTW Dottie, do you remember the discrepancy between DS subtest reading scores and the composite? I think the subtests scores were by his age and the composite by grade.

All that said I am extremely thankful that we did have him tested at that time. It was a real eye opener and one of the best things we have done as far as him being gt. I think we will have DS3 tested at similar age.

Good luck

LMom
    Dottie #15878 05/13/08 10:44 AM
    S
    S
    You know, I never asked if it was the K version or the first version. I'm thinking it would be the first grade version because here kids start K at 5 and go into 1st at 6 (Sept 1 cutoff). Although many parents put young 6s in K for various reasons. SO, there wouldn't be much point in giving him the K version, would there?

Dottie #15882 05/13/08 11:03 AM
    OP Offline
    HHm so not sure what to think now lol. My friend's kid would be 5.7ish when she is thinking of having him tested. Unfortunately, he missed the K cutoff last year by a week.

For my just turned 5yr old, I think I'll wait at least a year for testing. If I pull his older brother from school and K is going badly, I'll pull him as well. If he's enjoying K, i'll leave him in especially if he gets his older brother's 1st grade teacher for 1st.

I'll discuss things further w/ friend. I had originally suggested she get him tested just to convince herself that he is exceptional.

Dottie #15883 05/13/08 11:11 AM
    I'll just pipe in and say if you want to use your testing to advocate with the school, it would be wise to check and see which test the school will accept. They may be very particular or not at all.
    I'm not sure if the WISC-IV is better or worse for globally gifted kids or if the SB is better for globally gifted.
    DD8 had high scores evenly on the WISC, thus I've inferred that she is globally intelligent.
    Not sure how she would test on the SB.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs