Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    Originally Posted by kelly0523
    Good article, Ametrine, thanks for posting!

You're welcome. I know it's common sense, but still thought it would help.

DS just told me a fellow student's dad died. (Unrelated to the tornado.) He said,

"Mom, people are like flowers."
    "How so?" said I.
    "Because they are born, become apples, bananas and oranges, then die like adults."
    "What makes you say that?" said I.
    "Because _____(child's name) dad died.

I was unprepared for this conversation. I was making dinner and he was making a robot. I questioned him on whether he was confused and it was his schoolmate's grandfather who died, but he was positive it was her dad. He told me she wants to "talk-talk-talk" about it.
    I've told him whenever she brings it up to tell her he's sorry and to give her a hug.

I've recently interacted with _____'s mom and had no idea her husband just died.

The child's father may or may not have actually died. The reason I say this is because one of my DD's classmates came up to me at school and told me that she was really upset that her grandfather had recently passed away. I am fairly good friends with this family (mother) so I expressed my condolences to the child and asked her how she was doing. She told me that she was in "deep mourning" over his passing, so I told her that I understood and if she wanted to talk about it she could. Later that day I called her mother to express my condolences and to let her know if she needed someone to watch her younger children during the visitation or funeral that I could help her out. The mom was absolutely stunned when I called, that her daughter was so upset and expressed that she was in "deep mourning" over the death as she had never even met her grandfather (the mom and dad were estranged). Can you say awkward?

At any rate, the information your son is passing onto you may be accurate as to how he heard it, but if you just spoke to the child's mother and nothing appeared to be wrong, then I would have to say that you might want to question the accuracy of the information passed on by the child.

That being said, I think you gave your son good advice on how to handle the child when she wants to "talk talk talk" about it.

L
    L
    I really wanted my son to have the carefree kind of childhood that I had, but at the same time I felt it was more important for my son to learn about things had happened in the past that he was likely to hear about and things that were currently happening. I had to tell him about the relative who died in the Oklahoma bombing because it often comes up in family conversations. He saw some of the 9-11 coverage when he was preschool age. I told him that when he was a baby I thought a monster tornado was headed straight for us and all I could do was get in a downstairs bathroom and cover him with my body knowing that I needed to be underground to survive if it hit us. I wanted him to be weather aware, for his own safety. We recently drove home on a highway where a monster tornado touched down less than 15 minutes later. We saw the huge horrible thing forming.

My 15-year-old son does not seem like he was harmed in any way by learning about awful tragedies. He deals with this kind of thing much better than I do. I sometimes wonder if my lack of bad experiences in childhood left me less able to deal with things. I am the one feeling like life has just become so weird and out of control and that everything is the opposite of the way it should be and that the more statistically unlikely something is, the more likely it is that it will happen. We just keep getting slammed with statistically unlikely weird stuff.

Last edited by Lori H.; 05/23/13 10:28 AM.
    B
    B
    Regarding Boston, I chose not to tell her about the terrorists bombings because I don't want her to feel like the entire world is unsafe. That being said, if she ever were to ask me about it, I would not lie but I would tell her the bare minimum to answer her questions.
    9-11, Nidal Hasan's rampage, the Boston bombings, the Woowich attack, and many other terrorist incidents are part of a jihad. My oldest two already know what religion is implicated. The schools, the media, and many politicians are too politically correct to mention certain obvious patterns, so parents need to at some point.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Regarding Boston, I chose not to tell her about the terrorists bombings because I don't want her to feel like the entire world is unsafe. That being said, if she ever were to ask me about it, I would not lie but I would tell her the bare minimum to answer her questions.
    9-11, Nidal Hasan's rampage, the Boston bombings, the Woowich attack, and many other terrorist incidents are part of a jihad. My oldest two already know what religion is implicated. The schools, the media, and many politicians are too politically correct to mention certain obvious patterns, so parents need to at some point.

I completely agree with you. The issue I have is that she was only 8 at the time of the Boston bombings. If she asked, I would not lie or candy coat it but at the age of 8 I personally choose not to burden her with the weight of the world...there is plenty of time for that.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM