Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    This is really fascinating reading-- thank you for posting all of this, Cricket!

Our district uses a mixture of achievement tests and group ability testing to ID kids. (Why they bother, I don't really know, since anything 90th percentile on either one qualifies as "gifted" here and since that is some 30% of students, they don't really differentiate beyond that anyway, but I digress.) Our distribution here has a median of about 118, I think, which is quite high, no doubt. But it is also bimodal-- there is a regular distribution that centers at 106 or so (the state mean), and then one that centers at about 125-ish. Even so, the latter is a pretty sharp spike that encompasses (surprise, surprise) about 30% of the kids in the district. LOL. Not that it's exactly the same 30% who are ID'ed, but it's close to identical, give or take maybe 5-8 kids from that wider regular distribution.

I'm not sure what those numbers look like if they include things like WISC instead of OLSAT/CogAT.

Even so, kids like my DD are evidently quite rare-- and teachers/administrators know and acknowledge that just on the basis of her functional achievement and demeanor in person-- we have pretty much never offered outside testing but for once, and that was fairly informal and we were up front about that. Her achievement score composites are always 98-99+, but when you realize that those are 3y out of level, effectively, because of her grade accelerations...

well. We learned a long time ago that "gifted programming" isn't intended for HG+ children at all.

I, too, wonder at how such evaluations must (based on what we've seen ourselves with our DD) punish divergent thinking and reward high SES and exposure to concepts, ideas, and activities.

I also wonder whether or not ANY IQ test-- meaning either group or individual-- actually has a lock on anything other than some proxy for that quality that we'd all really like to be measuring with those tools. I seriously doubt it. But I wonder what each one DOES actually capture. It's perhaps some facet of the real (though elusive) thing, but only one facet-- which is just, as someone else noted above-- a "snapshot," and maybe it's not even a snapshot of the entire thing.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I'm not seeing the data from the study this book is citing, but there is this quote in the book WISC-IV: Clinical Assessment and Intervention (2008) that would indicate the potential for a high score on a group test but not on an individual test,

Of note in the standardization sample is the large number of students previously identified as gifted who are not performing two standard deviations above the mean on any factor of the WISC-IV. It is unclear if this discrepancy is a product of the considerable changes to both the content and structure from the WISC-III to the WISC-IV, or if there being a large number of students (29%) who are included in the WISC-IV gifted sample based solely on a group-administered cognitive ability test that offers a less valid measure of abilities than an individually administered one.
    Ch. 8: The Use of the WISC-IV in Assessment and Intervention Planning for Children Who are Gifted, pg. 223 (http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...XfD1k5cUBFdXWyqL9XYQ#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Of course, as they mentioned, it could just be that the changes to the test from version III to version IV changed who was performing in the gifted range. It would have been nice if they stratified the data and looked at how the scores lined up btwn version III to version IV for kids who had taken both and not just lumped kids with gifted scores on on the WISC-III in with kids with gifted scores on group tests.

eta: there is this interesting bit of info as well - while the GDC has a self selected sample group, the group they tested on the WISC-IV when looking at its validity as a new test, got higher scores on the g loaded subtests than did the gifted group in the norming group whereas the gifted norming group did better on the speed related items than did the GDC gifted group.

WISC-IV Subtest Means of 63 Gifted Children
    in the Norm Sample compared with 103 Gifted Children from GDC

Gifted Norm Group - Similarities: 14.10
    GDC - Similarities: 15.8

Gifted Norm Group - Vocabulary: 14.60
    GDC - Vocabulary: 15.4

Gifted Norm Group - Comprehension: 14.10
    GDC- Comprehension: 14.8

Gifted Norm Group - Matrix Reasoning: 13.40
    GDC - Matrix Reasoning: 14.7

Gifted Norm Group - Picture Concepts: 12.70
    GDC - Picture Concepts: 14.6

Gifted Norm Group - (Arithmetic): 14.20
    GDC - (Arithmetic): 14.1

Gifted Norm Group - (Information): 13.90
    GDC - (Information): 14.1

Gifted Norm Group - Block Design: 13.80
    GDC - Block Design: 13.2

Gifted Norm Group - (Word Reasoning): 13.20
    GDC - (Word Reasoning): 12.9

Gifted Norm Group - Letter-Numb. Sequencing: 12.60
    GDC - Letter-Numb. Sequencing: 12.9

Gifted Norm Group - (Picture Completion): 13.00
    GDC - (Picture Completion): 12.5

Gifted Norm Group - Symbol Search: 12.10
    GDC - Symbol Search: 11.5

Gifted Norm Group - Digit Span: 12.00
    GDC - Digit Span: 12.3

Gifted Norm Group - (Cancellation): 11.00
    GDC - (Cancellation): 10.3

Gifted Norm Group - Coding: 11.50
    GDC - Coding: 9.9

(WISC-IV Technical Manual, p. 77)
    http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/About_GDC/whoaregiftd.htm

Last edited by Cricket2; 05/27/13 07:39 AM.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM