Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Dude. I agree that SES plays a huge role, (Even biblically it says 6 generations) so I still can still blame my parents. I do agree with the effect SES plays on children, opportunities and education, both from the family and provided by the family. I am not sure about the government's role in shaping this, perhaps more for the bad then for the good. I am trying to avoid absolutes, because they all tend to lead in the wrong direction. I still see a good portion of people that look to the government for answers, rather then to themselves. When I speak with the WWII generation it's very different then mine or my children's, I believe they where more independent and looked to make things on their own. It all may be cycletic (is this a real word, darn High School education), I don't get to speak to people from the civil war. I do believe that if equal opportunity should not mean equal results. The so called war on poverty will not be won, through re-distribution, nor will it be won by every man for himself. It can't be won, the yard stick can only be moved. A funny side note about wealth, most wealthy people I know say it's harder to keep money then to make it. I agree with Howler, it's not so easy to quatify merotocracy given Human Nature, and how we define things. Jon, in regards to the World Economy, it's above my pay grade. I just try to make a difference where I can, when I can.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Edwin
    A funny side note about wealth, most wealthy people I know say it's harder to keep money then to make it.

You realize that they are lying through their teeth, right?

Although there might be some measure of self delusion...

My answer to restoring meritocracyy?

1. Govt pays for university - they'll get more money back in taxes than they will end up spending
    2. End quotas including preference for legacy applicants - these were actually put into place to try to exclude Jews from the Ivys - so hardly started with the noblest of intents
    3. Instead make university admission merit.based
    4. For students from disadvantaged backgrounds have a one year 'ramp up' class where the deficit between their high school education and a real entry to university level can be made up - those that don't demonstrate the work ethic or smarts to make the grade get cut - this will maintain academic standards at universities and stop the actual university calibre students from being slowed down which in turn ought to halt the current degree inflation.

Become what you are
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by Dude
    If it were true that wealth and hard work were related, then we'd see a lot of social mobility, because nobody is more motivated to work hard than someone who is poor.

I'm thinking that you don't spend much time representing "the poor".

No, but I spent a lot of time being "the poor," though. Does that count?

If it were true that wealth and hard work were related, then we'd see a lot of social mobility, because nobody is more motivated to work hard than someone who is poor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Bother-generation-doesnt-want-work.html

I think part of the problem is that there's probably not anyone on this board who has spent any real amount of time around anyone who is TRULY wealthy. The disparity in this country between the bottom 99.8% of the population and the top .2% is MASSIVE.

Mathematically, there is less difference between the plastic surgeon pulling down $1million after taxes, and the person living at the poverty line than there is between that plastic surgeon and some of the folks in the top 0.2% in this country. That 0.2-0.1% hold a MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE amount of wealth. To the point that most people cannot even fathom it. It's literally beyond most people comprehension.

We sit down here in what we think of as "middle" class not even realizing the divide we face.

Last edited by epoh; 05/23/13 07:04 AM.

~amy
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I agree with EPOH. Do a search on the World's ten richest persons and you'll be amazed at the amount of filthy lucre accreting to the lucrous filthy. . . trying to be humorous there but failing, really.

I mean that anyone who has read any Kevin Phillips will realize the Great GREAT Boon the past ten or so years have been. The super-rich are now hyper-rich, while some merely wealthy (say, less than $50 m.) are just treading water. We need to feel sad about the millionaires losing out to the multi-millionaires.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Bother-generation-doesnt-want-work.html

I didn't say I'd spent any time being "the poor" in Britain. The social safety net here is quite different.

Originally Posted by Edwin
    When I speak with the WWII generation it's very different then mine or my children's, I believe they where more independent and looked to make things on their own.

It's probably worth pointing out at this point that no generation ever received so much direct investment from their government than the WWII generation.

And that makes you the God appointed representative of The Poor? I myself grew up in poverty and everything that I have was not given to me. I 100% support the right to work hard and have the chance to accumulate enough to have financial security without having the Government deny me that by taxing the crap out of me in an apparent effort to ensure that none of my progeny get to college or for me to have an actual retirement.

A lot of people that actually did grew up poor as opposed to spoiled MC and UMC people who can only imagine what it is like to grow up without advantages feel exactly as I do.

Some posters here need to become more evolved and let go of the chip on their collective shoulders that they obviously have against those that have striven to rise above their beginnings. All this 'tax high earners' nonsense, is just a smoke screen raised by the Actual Rich Establishment to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.

Bring on the flat tax on all types of income!

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/23/13 07:30 AM.

Become what you are
    Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM