Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Just a WOW moment.

My DGS7, who is on the spectrum, is really communicating with us, not just talking all the time, since school let out. It is really cool. He always talks a lot, and uses a lot of words, but says little. Now, he is asking how my day was, how my ill uncle was doing after I went to visit the hospital and generally taking some interest in the people around him. It seems without the constant sensory overload and stress of school, he has the energy to hold some two-way conversations. He is also telling me he has to do things in a certain order e.g. when he wakes up (his "morning routine") so I understand and will make sure he has the time to do this before we go anywhere. All school year, he never said a word about it.

And he wonders why we are homeschooling next year! I wouldn't give up the last few days for anything! WOW!

leahchris

Leahchris, that is amazing. SO happy for you!! smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    P
    P
    Awwweee... that is sooo cool Leahchris!!! I am so happy for your gs! I hope he has a very happy summer!

Thanks for sharing with us -

polarbear

M
    M
    DS is a lot more balanced and less moody when he's home all day instead of in pre-school half a day. Plus he very easily takes on all the bad habits other kids have so then I'm undoing at home what school / classmates did at school. Public half day Kindergarten in the fall will be our "test" if we even get that far. I want to try some informal homeschooling over the summer and see how he'd do.

D
    D
    Leahchris, how very exciting!

Our DS has often made really sudden leaps in communication skills. And for him they do often happen around transitions, rather than when everything is staying the same. (Travel is another good stimulus; he would make a huge gain all at once right after arriving home, leaving us wondering how that happened.)

Those early elementary years are the toughest, I think, for a kid with the gifted/ASD profile. But they do learn and grow. I hope you continue to find nice surprises together!

DeeDee

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM