Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    He is our EASY child until he's put into an uncomfortable social / communication situation when he shuts down.

That can itself be "restrictive"-- not being able to engage in certain situations.

I would also point out that the "safe minds" website is largely pseudoscience-- it's one of those groups that still says mercury in vaccines causes autism (which has been definitively ruled out) and advocates for treatments that have no documented validity. I wouldn't trust much you read there.

DeeDee

I haven't really paid much attention to the website itself, just the information, which goes along with info here as well http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qLFZT8jLymoFhSqHdg&bvm=bv.46751780,d.eWU http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.psych.org%2FFile%2520Library%2FPractice%2FDSM%2FDSM-5%2FDSM-5-Social-Communication-Fact-Sheet.pdf&ei=O6iXUYatDozW9ATyvoDgDA&usg=AFQjCNFtxzJ1AVrl7bVeEPr0KhBfnVdegw&sig2=LF_6qLFZT8jLymoFhSqHdg&bvm=bv.46751780,d.eWU (sorry for the long link ... first time trying to post a link on this forum)

We have had a lot of people in various situations tell us that he doesn't really seem autistic to them (people who work with autistic kids) and that he has more going on than just high functioning autism. Not to mention that when we bring him to school he's basically not functioning at all.

Last edited by Mk13; 05/18/13 09:22 AM.
    C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    mana~
    I appreciate your link as well smile
    I have heard "safeminds" site is controversial etc, but I have a very open mind and like to see all sides- parents living it, scientist/medical studying it/trials etc, and yes even the "pseudoscience" as deedee called it smile

what's that saying? behind every rumor is a half truth? do I have that right? ok, not same thing here, but still....

anyways, I like to hear about all sides, especially regarding autism!

mk13, my DS under new dsm-v would not qualify for any dx. not autism (current dx) and not even the SCD- though his biggest deficit has always been pragmatics! truth is he may have been misdiagnosed!

no one has ever thought DS was autistic either, but many have suggested he was very bright & creative!

I have since met other boys whose parents in describing their son as infant/toddler, described my own! the kids were all tested/labeled MG/PG!! ok, let me clarify I have met 3 boys. not a huge # I know.

smile

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you, Mana! My guess is DS4.9 might lose his PDD-NOS diagnosis with the new criteria but DS3.2 will definitely have a diagnosis of some sort. I just don't believe the current High functioning autism is the correct one.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM