Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 434 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Nbpoirier, I am not sure how going to first grade is even considered an acceleration here since your ds is already spending a 1/2 day with the K's this year? Is it just because of his age?

Originally Posted by Nbpoirier
    So far every educator I have asked says it is best for development if he stays with his age mates and just gets subject matter acceleration.

Are the educators saying this about your ds specifically, or just as a generalization? How I feel about it's meaning differs - if they simply have that opinion re acceleration, I'd listen, think it through, then toss it away and go with my own gut feeling. OTOH, if they are seeing something specific in your child that leads them to say this, I'd give it more weight in my decision - and I'd also want to ask specifically what it is re your ds that leads them to this conclusion.

I actually don't think staying with your age peers and using subject acceleration is a bad idea if you can do it - it's what we chose for our ds. We've had some bumps along the road where the acceleration didn't happen (in elementary school) and we've also found overall that acceleration isn't usually all that it "could" be - ds could have learned more faster and quicker than he's had a chance to, and he's found that sitting in his subject accelerated classes can be boring too, because the overall pace of the class isn't accelerated smile So that's one thing I'd consider if you're on the fence re accelerating - is your ds, with acceleration, going to have an opportunity to learn at his true pace, or is he simply going to be one year ahead in a classroom that moves slower than his brain moves? That might be a good (best for the situation) solution, but if you're weighing other factors against acceleration, I'd keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by Nbpoirier
    It sounds like the concern is often social issues in later years (being the last to hit puberty, last to drive impacting dating and social life, size impacting sports etc). While I can see that side, it is not the only side...

You're right, that's not the only side of the decision. I will tell you though, that two of the families I've known who were eager to grade-accelerate in early elementary found that this type of situation mattered much more to them than they'd predicted once their child was actually in middle school. It's not that they hadn't thought it through earlier - it's just that once their children were actually in middle/high school, and actually around older kids going through puberty, learning how to drive, going out on dates... they (parents) weren't really happy about their children being in the midst of all of that. Please note - this is a 2 family sample - totally statistically meaningless! Just something to think through. It's possible that it might not bother your ds or you that he doesn't drive or date as early as his friends... but it might worry you that he's around all these kids who are moving through those stages. Does that make sense?

Good luck thinking this through -

polarbear

K
    K
    We are dealing with the grade acceleration question too. My daughter started K reading at almost 3rd grade (guided reading level @ M), then when she was tested at school after getting a recommendation from a private test for gifted programming, her reading process is at High School level and she is multiplying and dividing having not been sat down and "taught" more than counting by 2s,5s and 10s ect. So, when we went into the school grade acceleration was presented, and when we talked to her about it, she said "No". I was held back in the 4th grade and did not want to be and spent many years angry and refusing to do my school work. I think that the child's feeling on grade acceleration should be the biggest factor in the decision.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM