Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by luciente
    Actually, most of the like-minded people I "know" are online. IRL I walk a thin line and keep my mouth shut. To be tongue-in-cheek, I've learned that teachers don't like homeschooling talk, homeschoolers don't like teacher talk, and nobody likes gifted talk unless their child is more gifted than yours!

Yes, my most like-minded friends are online as well. I have two friends who get it (both have gifted kids). I can see where you (Luciente) have a foot in 3 worlds - wait, that would mean you have 3 feet and may not be free to open up in either of them. Hugs.

Originally Posted by luciente
    Even as a teacher at an "accelerated" (by one year) school, with excellent teachers, I ran into puzzling attitudes. I wasn't allowed to give the kids who were obviously in need of more challenge anything different (and yes, they did go off-task and clown around). I was allowed to differentiate in the other direction, giving struggling kids extra assistance, less challenging work, etc. The need for tailoring was the same, but the response was so different!

That is so odd yet I've read it several times on various boards on how the gifted school was more inflexible than the PS. they did well by the MG kids but throw your HG+ kid in there, and they won't differentiate beyond what they do normally. You would think they would get it. It's such a myopic view of giftedness.

Luciente - how old are your boys? Did you mention why you decided to HS? Were their needs not being met or you just enjoy teaching them? I'm considering HSing my almost 8yr old next year. I also have a rising Ker who is similarly advanced as his brother was going into K ... I fear for him. My older son's K year was horrible for him. BUt the 5yr old is a different kid so you never know. I'm prepared to pull him out should things go badly.

Welcome to the board and while I've only been here a short time , I think you've found a place where you can talk about giftedness, HSing, and being teacher. I have several teacher friends and I find their insights intriguing.

Dazey

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 05/10/08 05:53 AM.
    As a former teacher who's homeschooling an HG+ child and also has a DS we can't tell about GTness with yet, I'm certainly really happy to have you here, luciente! laugh

Welcome!

Kriston
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks for such a nice welcome, everyone!

I have a 3.5 year old, Kestrel, whom I assume is at least MG. His only experience with school thus far was a trial of Mother's Day Out last year. In the middle of each day, he would cry for me, and not let the teachers comfort him. He lasted a month! I later found out that he'd had a double ear infection the whole time. frown

Robin is 11, HG, and has a checkered educational history. He was accepted at 4.5 to the kindergarten at the accelerated school I mentioned before.

Ultimately, I decided to enroll him in their pre-k instead. We had recently moved to a new state, and he'd never done all-day school before. I worried that he'd be too stressed. He'd been the youngest in his preschool class, and I hoped that being one of the older kids in his new class would help him socially.

Rob did great socially in the pre-k. but learned very little. I taught kindy there, and the next year he was in my class! He was one of the kids I was not allowed to accomodate.

Again, he did well socially and learned too little. He got used to knowing all the answers and spending mere moments on his work.

The next year, we sent him to a Sudbury Valley Model school. To explain why that didn't go well would be a whole other novel.

The next year, when he was 7.5, Kestrel was born, and we began homeschooling! I wrote Rob a curriculum, but we slid towards unschooling pretty quickly. After viewing Rob's end of the year portfolio, our hs'ing coordinator bumped him up a grade! Easiest skip ever. laugh

So this is our 4th year as homeschoolers. I had always thought hs'ing was a cool idea that we'd probably never do. Now I'm convinced it's the path for us.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM