Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    My own observation is that most kids wear uniforms to school even when they're not required. They conform to the dressing norms of their particular social groups. Uniforms just simplify the process.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    I think uniforms are a great idea.

We have none in our public schools here, unless it's a "traditional" public school. Since my kids go to a regular public school rather than traditional or private, they've never worn uniforms.

We haven't had any problems so far - DD10 has a fabulous eye for coordinates and is still sensitive enough to want to avoid being inappropriate, and DS8 is pretty laid back and prefers it if I choose his clothes.

Last year a notice came home reminding parents that certain things are unacceptable, such as flip flops, spaghetti straps and exposed midriffs. I think this was from some of the grade 7s "finding their style" lol. This year it doesn't seem to have been a problem.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by AvoCado
    And I agree, who cares how long your hair is or what colour it is when you've got so much more going on *inside* your head?! smile

Ah, if only our outside appearance automatically reflected what is really inside...it would be so much easier a decision at election time, right? smile

Originally Posted by AvoCado
    On a related note I have heard of a little gifted girl who would dress in theme every day - quite abstract themes! Like, she would dress as a season, or an emotion, or a place or a time. Tinsel in her hair would be giggles, and ribbons wrapped around her arms would be the tickling fingers, and her shirt would be yellow for happiness, or she'd wear clothes the colour of her house, with a grey beanie for the chimney and a green cape for the backyard and stick flowers in her shoes etc etc. So cool, but she quickly grew out of it when she started school frown

That is just too cute! I suspect she was completely misunderstood and toned things down to fit in. Sad.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DS is uninterested in clothes, other than liking sea creature anything, so he won't care.
    Mini Boden has some cool summer tees this year he'd like, I bet.

S
    S
    My boys are going to a middle school next year that requires uniforms. My hipster/long-haired wild child isn't looking forward to it. But I actually think it will help him define himself outside of the clothes he wears. He's incredibly funny and quick-witted, and has a definite hipster teenage vibe (that he's had since 1st grade), but this will force him to convey who he is verbally and intellectually, rather than with the clothes he sometimes uses as props.

Last edited by syoblrig; 05/16/13 09:33 AM.
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    Now that she is at a non-uniform school she dresses with a theme of some sort all the time. Often times it is based on a strange connection between the two colors she puts together and then she spends the day hoping someone will ask her why she is wearing x with y. Since she straddles grades 7 and 8, there are lots of girls in particular interested in their looks, so she does it sometimes to poke fun at their obsession with having the "right" clothes.

Oh, like "The Plastics" in Mean Girls? Good for her.

OP Offline
    The hair thing with DS is still in flux. He's just now experimenting with combing "his style", which usually consists of heavily watered down bangs and combed up backside.

Whatever floats your boat, kid.

S
    S
    My daughter dresses in themes, too ( but she's only in K). She'll be a kind of plant with the right colors, etc, or she'll make up some character, or be one of her heroes like Elphaba or someone, but mixed with a different situation for the character.

I appreciate how uniforms simplify things, but I'm mostly fine with a well-enforced dress code (for things like beer tees and vulgar print, which yes I've had to have kids turn inside out) but mostly I think hair and stuff should be free from rules. The idea of forbidding color (like in news stories) is just kind of wacky to me. But then again I'm in California.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by St. Margaret
    The idea of forbidding color (like in news stories) is just kind of wacky to me. But then again I'm in California.

I was on a committee at a local high school for a couple of years. The kids at the school had to wear white, black, or grey. Nothing else was (or is) acceptable. This was because two rival gangs in the school had particular color schemes, and stuff could get bad if kids were wearing each group's wrong colors. frown

Even their shoelaces had to be black, grey, or white.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by St. Margaret
    The idea of forbidding color (like in news stories) is just kind of wacky to me. But then again I'm in California.

You clearly are in the wrong (or rather the right) part of California, then.

Gang colors are/were an issue in this part of the state, although our district's dress code has not been made as stringent as the high school Val was involved with.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM