Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    OP Offline
    Oy.

I know that we've all heard some strange things from administrators and teachers.

So I have been working my hiney off for YEARS trying to explain to DD's school why it is NOT okay for her to shoot for "100%" as her sole goal... and how this is leading to maladaptive coping skills, etc. etc.

Well, you know.

I have also joked (cruelly, it's true) that we gave them a 6yo with a four hour attention span, and they have returned us an adolescent with a ten second attention span and a love of fast-moving slickly produced video clips which provide escape from mind-numbing drudgery. whistle

This has officially dipped into surreal territory today, however-

When the goal is to complete courses with the greatest amount of success, tips to increase your student's attention span is an appropriate topic

It is important to talk with your student to find out how much time he or she thinks it will be possible to study without becoming distracted. A five minute break can be allowed between sessions. Study sessions can be designed to last as long as the student has a good ability to focus. When his or her mind begins to wander, encouragment should be given to make a quick list of the topics that are interfering with concentration. Later, those distractions can be addressed and issues resolved. As a student learns to maintain focused attention, the length of study time can increase.

When given the option, choose topics and projects that are the most interesting to the student. Provide choices of activities that are manageable and challenging. Tasks that are "too easy" or "too hard" defeat purpose and decrease motivation. After an assignment has been completed satisfactorily (and praise has been given for a job well done), students will often experience a feeling of exhilaration.

You... don't... say...

{thud-thud-thud}

Evidently for students with particular challenges, this is good advice. For students who are operating well beyond the level of instruction, however, well, THOSE students need to learn... to shut up and work? To tolerate it better?

I'm not even sure how my DD is supposed to 'choose challenging' tasks. I guess she's been doing that already with her strategies. Maladaptive strategies, many of them, but hey-- she IS choosing her own challenges.

Staying on task IS challenging when the work is mind-numbing, eh?

No sure what to do about motivation, though. Hmm. Should I respond and ask this person for some tips? Heh.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OP Offline
    What has illustrated the complete lack of authentic communication with your school, teacher, or administration?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    What has illustrated the complete lack of authentic communication with your school, teacher, or administration?

Would the fact that the teacher asks me questions that I had already answered numerous times in the previous communication count in this category? I noticed that the teacher only seems to read / register my answers and communication that are directly answering her own questions. Anything additional goes unnoticed. Why do I even bother???

Just got DS4.9 retested for allergies today. Turns out things are even WORSE than we thought. This will once again lead to one big communication disaster! ... been there ... done that frown. And we are not even talking academics yet!

E
    E
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma

Me: we'd like to accelerate DS. He will have gaps in knowledge that will be quickly filled.
    Teacher: DS has gaps. We shouldn't accelerate.

X3

O
    O
    Do you sometimes feel like you're at the convenience store?

Me, "That'll be all"

Store employee, "Would you like coffee today? Did you have gas out there? Need a paper?"

Me, "What part of that'll be all did you not understand?"

M
    M
    Oh, I have another one ... regarding DS3.2 speech and occupational therapy through the school district

me: "Do NOT push him too hard. He will shut down for you and that will be the end of it for months!"
    special ed lady: "Oh, don't worry. We are used to kids crying!"

me: HUH???

... I should had known better when this "miss-conversation" happened! Now I'm ready to withdraw him from therapy due to him completely shutting down! frown

D
    D

"you say your 5 year old wants to quit school. you know, all kids have a hard time adjusting to school, and allow me to assure you that her teachers are completely confident that everything is fine with her. the fact that YOU seem to think that our research-based methods aren't enough for your kid clearly illustrates the fact that YOU don't know your child as well as her teachers do."

i still want to smack my head on the desk.

oh! and one more: "she's perfectly average." it took me half the year to figure out that was an actual lie - and i still don't fully understand why the teachers thought it was necessary - i'm really not that scary and i wasn't asking for the moon. but for fully 5 months, i was picturing them having a class full of 4 year olds who enjoy reading Pulitzer prize-winning works about cancer... when in fact they really only had one.

Last edited by doubtfulguest; 05/13/13 01:59 PM.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest

"you say your 5 year old wants to quit school. you know, all kids have a hard time adjusting to school, and allow me to assure you that her teachers are completely confident that everything is fine with her. the fact that YOU seem to think that our research-based methods aren't enough for your kid clearly illustrates the fact that YOU don't know your child as well as her teachers do."

i still want to smack my head on the desk.

Of course you don't. You've only been a parent to your child for the past 5 years! That's nothing compared to the time your child's teacher spends with her! grrr!

M
    M
    Teacher: I know he knows the curriculum, but just be happy you have a smart kid (in k)
    Me: but he doesn't want to come and complains of being sick
    Teacher: really? Seems fine to me.

From neuropsych eval (among other things), we found out ds feels that teacher and all his classmates don't like him. But he seems fine? Oh- ok. I must be crazy. (Feeling relieved that I am not crazy and what I thought about ds is right.)

A
    A
    "sometimes gifted kids just have to be miserably in elementary school." - This from the school districts so called "gifted coordinator."

I swear sometimes I want to bang my head against the wall.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM