Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #156288 05/10/13 12:16 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Does anybody have an online program or software they recommend for teaching a 7 yo and 9 yo to type?

TIA!

Z
    Z
    SpongeBob Type Rider is pretty good.

Typing Instructor for Kids.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    P
    P
    My kids all loved BBC Mat typing (it's called something like that - don't remember the exact name!). It's online and free. The recommendation we've had is to not stress if your child doesn't want to follow conventional touch typing rules, let them figure out their own adaptive system. (FWIW, mine stuck with the traditional, against all the advice we had!) Once they'd been through the very basics of learning to type instruction, the best practice was simply letting them type whatever they wanted to - emails to family members, playing games that required typing, writing stories etc on the computer.

polarbear

S
    S
    I was going to say google around for the BBC typing program. I liked it. I am going to have my younger son work it this summer.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    C
    C
    Dance Mat Typing from the BBC is good- we also use typingweb.com (free) and Typing Club (a free chrome app). We experimented with Typing Instructor for Kids (DS hated it!) and Mavis Beacon (also hated it).

A mix of the first three, combined with heavy minecraft playing is the best!

S
    S
    My DS7 is doing well with Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum. It's available for Mac & PC.

He's needed encouragement with keeping his fingers on the home row and with letting himself learn both accuracy and speed. I think if I just let him do it when he felt like it, he wouldn't do it ever again, but he'll do it if I suggest it.

This week he did some of his spelling homework using Microsoft Word, and he said it made him happy!

This must be the BBC program mentioned above?

BBC Dance Mat typing

We'll have to give that a shot. DD's piano teacher is really cracking down on her computer ergonomics, because they are leading to some early signs of repetitive stress injuries and some problems in playing the piano.

While the Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum works, um... yeah-- it works BEST, apparently, if your child actually uses the program. (I know-- who knew? wink )

and like CAmom's child, mine HATES these programs. She prefers to do this "chicken-typing" thing with just 1-2-3 on both hands. My gosh it's painful just LOOKING at her doing it-- and she will do this for hours. No wonder she's having problems.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    DS7 wasn't getting anything out of the game type instruction, he just used one finger to shoot whatever he needed to shoot. Just got Typing Fingers for iPad. Very boring in comparison, but quite good at teaching the keys and the space bar and proper use. Haven't used it that long so no idea if he will stick with it. Trying to get my husband - the two finger snail typist - to try it!

DeHe

P
    P
    Howler, the BBC program might not be all that interesting for your dd - if I remember it correctly, it's aimed at younger (early elementary-ish) ages. I am having flashbacks to lots of goofy music and graphics!

polarbear

B
    B
    We use Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum and the kids really enjoy it. I have a 12 year old and two 10 year olds using it.

M
    M
    My kids really haven't gone for the game based programs, both of them proffered Typing Club, which is barebones and "boring" but has been quite effective. My more 2e 11 yr old is using it primarily for speed training now. My 6 yr old is progressing more slowly, but she has a handwriting disability that is due to physical problems with her hands, and she's 6, so slow is to be expected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM