Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 179 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #156133 05/09/13 12:01 PM
    P
    phey Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    So DS5 has flown through third grade math (doing online ixl). He has everything down pretty solid, except we haven't covered fractions and percents yet beyond the basics. He can now add, sub, mult, div as fast as I can, is good at basic story problems, patterns, money, time, decimals,(any size number for everything) etc...he just has a really good number sense. Yesterday, he clicked on 8th grade sequences, and I watched as he immediately got this problem (4, 6, 9, 13, 18, x, x). This was the first problem of this type, so it wasn't that he'd seen the pattern before. I didn't pick up the pattern as fast as he did, so he explained it to me, by saying you just add one...I didn't know what he was talking about, but since he had typed in the correct answers, I knew he did. He then showed me more clearly. So the point is though, is that he is solid and fast with this level of math. The problem he is having is transitioning from this stuff, into problems that require multiple steps, first add, then subtract, or balance one side of the equation first. I think it is an asynchronous issue, as most kids have three or four years to develop the patience required for these types of problems. What do we do at this stage - just wait a few years for his pencil and stamina to catch up to him? How do you gently build this ability, when he has already zipped though all the "years" that help in building this ability?

Solve more real-world problems WITH the skills he already knows.

Building things, measuring things, scaling problems (kitchen math, consumer math, etc) and working with time and money. That kind of everyday math, basically.

Practicing pointless or single-step calculations is a non-starter and honestly, he doesn't need to. He knows what he's doing. He just needs to practice using the tools he already has, so that he can recognize how to tear apart a complicated problem and use the tools he already has.

So let him help with some real-world stuff instead!

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs