Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #155948 05/08/13 01:41 PM
    OP Offline
    DS4 is now officially a smart aspie.

I have been told to request a meeting with the principle before the end of the school year, so we can fill a laundry list of a prescription before he starts K in sept.

I guess that's that, then.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    How are you feeling to have something official in hand?

Relieved, conflicted, weirded out?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    I nearly bumped your thread yesterday to ask if you had news. I think HK has covered the questions.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Michaela
    DS4 is now officially a smart aspie.

Both reading and posting on the small phone screen can lead to issues. I first read this to say that he was a "smart apple" and went back to your prior posts to see what odd program you'd applied to that was called Smart Apples!

I hope that the dx helps you figure out a good path for him educationally.

OP Offline
    HK: Approximately, yes wink

The funniest moment was when the person tripped a little over the stats for the cognitive section (which surprised us substantially less than it did them), and DH helpfully pointed out a rounding issue. She decided we understood at that point, but redoubled her efforts to convince us we really should tell the school THAT, too. smile

They recommended a gradual start to school, which was one of the things I had been thinking might REALLY help. I guess I'm glad we got the Dx we did, because a) it matches what I really thought was going on, and b) given his home school actually has an aspie programme, I suspect getting the very clear dual diagnosis will get him what he needs without the kind of insanity some people get mired in.

I'm also a little freaked that he's diagnosable, let alone that they were ready to use both labels at this age. But I guess it makes me feel a little less like it's all my fault he's strange! (Ok, still my genes' fault, I guess)

Some of the stuff they offered us sounds like it might actually HELP... which is a bit... shocking. After all the strait-from-the-baby-books shit that doesn't work and that the gov't pours down people's throats in our area.

mlurp.

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    N
    N
    I'm not sure which half you didn't know already, but I've had a smart aspie for 10 years, and I'm sure you'll do fine. Things work out much better when you have all the pieces of the puzzle. smile

For what it's worth, I resisted everybody's insistence on AS for years, saying, "why can't he just be a smart kid? Why does there have to be something wrong with him?" But in the end, it's better to call it what it is and deal with it -- and it's easier to deal with it when you know what you're dealing with. Err...something like that.

Don't worry, he will probably still blame you for the genes -- DS10 does! laugh

Last edited by Nautigal; 05/08/13 03:59 PM.
    D
    D
    I guess I'm glad we got the Dx we did, because a) it matches what I really thought was going on, and b) given his home school actually has an aspie programme, I suspect getting the very clear dual diagnosis will get him what he needs without the kind of insanity some people get mired in.

Yes. Plus, you can use the real words for his differences, so that by the time he's an adolescent he's comfortable with them. It is very good to know early on.

Some of the stuff they offered us sounds like it might actually HELP... which is a bit... shocking. After all the strait-from-the-baby-books shit that doesn't work and that the gov't pours down people's throats in our area.

You already knew you were off the map; now you know a little more closely why, which helps a lot. You will make your own map.

It is terrific, absolutely terrific, that they are offering relevant services. Tremendous-- this gives you a leg up that will last a long time.

DeeDee

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM