Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi everyone! I've been lurking, and finally decided to join in. I'm a former teacher, and mom to 2 homeschooling boys.

I thought I'd put forth a question that's been puzzling me for a long time. I know there's endless angst from parents and teachers about grade skipping, subject acceleration-- anything that puts a child in a group that's not of age-peers (and I've done some angsting myself).

I have also seen parents and teachers about to burst at the seams with pride about kids who are "Only in 1st grade, and reading at a 2nd grade level!"

My best friend lobbied to get his son into the "gifted" program when he just missed the cutoff. As explained to me, the gifted class is accelerated over the regular class by 3 months. My thought was, "Why bother?!"

Is it really that strange for a kid to be working a year or two above (or below) age peers, or to socialize mainly with others who are not near their age?

Are we that cookie-cutter a species that learning an "8 year old skill" at 6 is so noteworthy? Who decides what academic norms are in the first place?

I await your wisdom. wink

I think you're preaching to the choir here! whistle

I agree, there is huge variation in development from one kid to another and even in the development of different skills by a given child.

But the way the schools are set up you would think that kids are clones! I don't think anyone is well-served by our current educational system. We have the means/technology/understanding/etc. to start designing individualized educational plans for each kid. That's what we should be aiming for.

Hi and welcome Luciente,

I agree with you that workikng a year or two above age peers in reading or doing math is not a big deal.

However, at least in my case, the gap keeps getting larger as my dd grows older. She is currently working on 6th grade math (she just turned 8 last month). She learns at a faster rate and unless her curriculum is individualized she would have to be constantly waiting for the rest of the class to finish.

She didn't start school until she was 6 1/2, so she has finished the math curriculum for grades 1-6 in 2 years. She is not "hothoused" or "pushed" She is simply able to grasp concepts quickly. I don't really care for bragging rights, I was just concerned that she would learn to just cruise thru school without any effort needed. I simply support the idea of teaching children "what they are ready to learn when they are ready to learn it" regardless of age. This is actually her school's philosophy.

D
    D
    An important point to consider is that some kids work one grade above level because that is their actual challenge level while others are stuck at or slightly above grade level because that is the extent the schools will allow despite the fact that the student could progress much, much faster based on innate ability.

The lock-step issue causes much more angst for kids who are capable of completing 3 or more grades per year, but instead, are forced to spiral with the rest of the class year after excruciating year.

Luciente,

Spoken like a true home schooling former teacher! I like the way you think, and welcome!
    Actually, I've been very surprised by how many teachers choose to homeschool, so telling in my opinion.
    I have a pg daughter who is not skipped and has individualized curriculum (with 4 others) and loves school.
    I have an HG(+?) 5 year old who I've just been told her FSIQ 140 is not correct as she did not take the test seriously and was fooling around the whole time. School is not working so well for her.
    We are leaning towards partial homeschooling for next year as she loves her friends, playground, gym and music.
    Actually, as we get closer and closer to taking the plunge, I've started to feel strangely happy and relieved!

Neato

I really think there's power in having another option available to you, even if you don't take it. Just knowing that you're not entirely at someone else's mercy for the education of your not-easy child helps!

Kriston
    Incogneato: Totally OT but I read "pg" as pregnant daughter. WHen I see PG, I think profoundly gifted, but after being on pregnancy boards I see pg as pregnant! ROFL!

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 05/09/08 07:53 AM.
    P
    P
    Delbows and Cathy,
    Good points! Kids are expected to do the same thing, regardless of ability. My DD has been in a full inclusion class this year, and it has really stifled her growth. She reads 3 years above grade level, but there's very little in-class reading instruction (other than intervention for the struggling readers), and she gets very little guidance in picking out AR books on her level (her teacher doesn't have many high level ones). The teacher does send DD to the math coach for enrichment, which is her favorite part of school right now. Thank goodness she only has 10 school days left!

Our school system is very quick to point out the percentages of kids who are "above the benchmark" on DIBLES or "above grade level" on AR. The so-called "benchmark" for DIBLES is only the 40th percentile, so what's the big deal? So many parents are uninformed, and they take these meaningless stats as an indication that the school is doing great things. It's sad.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by delbows
    The lock-step issue causes much more angst for kids who are capable of completing 3 or more grades per year, but instead, are forced to spiral with the rest of the class year after excruciating year.

The word "angst" sums up DD9's entire school year this year. You are so right about this.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    Incogneato: Totally OT but I read "pg" as pregnant daughter. WHen I see PG, I think profoundly gifted, but after being on pregnancy boards I see pg as pregnant! ROFL!

LOL!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...