Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #155008 04/30/13 03:16 PM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    hey everyone... i really need some advice about school refusal in a 5 year old.

my DD has started routinely waking up in the night crying hysterically about school. she hates school for a variety of the usual reasons (no meaningful differentiation & social isolation) and as such, we are moving her to a new school in the fall. (ps - thanks everyone who helped me feel ok about making such a radical change!)

so here we are at 6 weeks left in the year - and we were trucking along, feeling really good about the light at the end of the tunnel, when these sleepless nights suddenly hit us and now she is point blank refusing to go back.

if anyone has any experience with this, i'd love to hear how y'all handled it. thanks!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    H
    H
    Pm'ing you.

S
    S
    Can you just withdraw her from school? It's kindergarten right? Quit.

If you can't, how about letting her stay home for a while? Maybe let her stay home every other day, or this week and then every other day?

If you have her schooling worked out for next year, I would stop trying to make this year work.

D
    D
    I'm with the previous poster. Pull her. Do school at home for the rest of the school year.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    thank you all so much! in our province, she is not required to attend until she's 6 - so not till Feb of next year.

the only thing that really gives me pause is that on top of everything else, we're dealing with her perfectionism (slightly hard = time to quit!) so i would need to balance/control that message, but... i'm also at the point where i really can't just let this get any worse.

i'm very encouraged by the idea that we could just get outta dodge. thanks again, all - it's such a relief to find people who don't dismiss what we're seeing in our kid. it's been a brutal year for that.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Do not let her think that you pulled her because it was "hard" or that she has that kind of power, though-- because that one is a deadly combo with the perfectionism you have already seen.

Is it possible for you to do private music lessons or something like swimming/other sports?

Those would be things that would push against that Goldilocks mentality (which you have SO RIGHTLY identified as perfectionism!!)-- I'd elicit a promise that once you sign up, sticking with it through ________ is a requirement, and discuss how it may feel "too hard" sometimes, but that it can also feel really, really, REALLY good to be proud of something that it has taken a lot of hard work to accomplish.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    as a family, we've always had a rule that whatever session we've paid for gets finished, but the extra-curriculars haven't escalated like the school issues have. we have a great partnership with her dance and swimming instructors - they've handled these issues beautifully.

i've used a river analogy with DD quite effectively with day-to-day perfectionism. Q: let's say you have a river in your path. how would you cross it? A: i'd jump. Q: wonderful. now what if the river is too wide to jump? A: i'd swim. Q: think about swimming for a minute. A: ok. Q: is that all one step? A: no. it's lots of little strokes to get where you're going. [cue the big smile]

but the power thing - you really put your finger on it, HK. it's definitely what i'm worrying about - she could very easily interpret this as a big win for her instinct to quit and use that against us in the future.

but it's also probably not a bad message that when things are truly taking more from you than they're giving back, it's ok to walk away. maybe that's the balance i'm looking for? she's quite a rational person, so that's working for us...

Last edited by doubtfulguest; 05/01/13 10:04 AM.

Yes--identifying when a situation is "toxic" and differentiating that from merely "taxing" is a crucial lesson. You nailed it!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    yay, MoN! that's exactly the process we've used with her so far - it helped us make the call about changing schools for the fall, so i think we'll try it again on this question.

and HK - toxic vs. taxing: love it. if you stick with something difficult and feel good about it at the end, it was taxing. if you stick with it and you feel awful in the end, it was toxic. and BONUS: DD loves a pithy saying - so she will be all over that one!

thanks so much!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent