Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I agree with you that it is possible to have too much stuff, Grinity. Clutter is bad, and too much of even a good thing is just clutter. And I also agree that the child must hear no sometimes and you must mean it when you say it.

My point was just that you're not spoiling a child with stuff as long as you give it freely and without emotional pressure or manipulation, and as long as they love it. You might spoil your house, your storage system, your life! But you're not turning your child into a "gimme monster" because she has that 11th princess dress that you wanted to give her and for which she's grateful. I figure if a young child (say, under 6) says "thank you" without prompting at least half the time, that's a good sign that you've not spoiled your child. (I'm assuming that the other half of the time the child is *so* excited about playing with the toy that s/he forgets all manners! LOL!)

Our system for saying no: we started giving a small allowance and requiring small jobs at around age 2. These are two separate things--not payment for the job, but coexisting tools for teaching responsibility.

We say, "All members of this family have responsibilities. We all must contribute to the running of the household because we all live here. DS3, your responsibilities are to clean up your toys every evening, set the table and throw your clothes down the laundry chute. Because you are older, DS6, you must also fold your clean clothes, feed the cat, and help me keep an eye on your brother." These jobs are non-negotiable, just as DH's and my adult jobs are non-negotiable. We all contribute to making the household a nice place to live.

The allowance teaches fiscal responsibility as well as responsible choice. They have spending money of their own, so I do not entertain any toy requests in the store. I just flat refuse to hear it, saying only, "If you want it, bring your wallet with you and buy it. That's why you have your own money." (Though admittedly, I do still have to say this a lot more often than I would like!)

I do not edit their choices about what they do with ths money. The whole point is for them to have the chance to make mistakes with it. Better that they learn consumer skills when they spend $5 on a crummy toy that falls apart than that they wait until they've run up a $30,000 credit card bill (as one of our relatives did in college!)

YMMV, but our kids are much more choosy about toys when it's their own money they're spending. They rarely spend, and if they do, they use the heck out of that toy! The older one has already learned to save for a long-term goal and the joy of seeing his savings increase. The younger one is still pretty much Mr. Immediate Gratification, but he's 3. There's plenty of time.

And at least I have an easy "no!" for the "I want it"s at the store!

Kriston
    P.S. I loved Encyclopedia Brown!

Kriston
    I'll have to try the allowance thing again. I tried this when DS was 2 or 3, and he completely understood the concept and said, "i don't want an allowance. I want you to buy the things for me." I think I was so shocked I forgot about the whole thing!

acs Offline
    SPG- One of the things that DS likes about his allowance is that he knows that there are some things that I will not buy him--video games are a good example. I simply refuse to buy video games. So if he wants them he has to buy them with his own money. That is why he likes his allowance.

That's a good way to do it, ACS. I think DH and I should sit down and discuss which things we won't buy. thanks.

Oh, man, SPG, that's one shrewd consumer you're raising! He sees the gravy train and won't get off. LOL!

Kriston
    Tell me about it. I guess we've done something terribly wrong as parents! Have to search for those supermom powers... wink

Nah, that doesn't sound like anything you've done! He just got consumer culture and how to "win" at it at a very early age. Not you! All him! LOL!

Kriston
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets