Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    How has she been received when she states she's in gifted? Is she perceived as a braggart?

No, actually, that seemed to go over better than anything else she's tried (but she's only said it once to my knowledge). If they want to know how old she is, the "gifted" is irrelevant, but if they want to know what she's doing in school, the "gifted" is important. The person she was talking to (and I honestly can't remember who it was) just seemed to take it as a matter-of-fact clarification.

OP Offline
    Thanks for that insight. Perhaps being forthright about the "label" of GT in situations like that will help our son later on.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    When someone asks DS4.5 the question "How do you know that?" his usual answer is "I'm just smart!". We did NOT teach him that. He somehow decided that that's how it is and I usually want to hide under the nearest rock or other cover.

DS8 now emphatically states that "kids are smarter than adults!" He insists that he's smarter than his (non-gifted) Dad.

This makes me happy, actually, given the fact that ADHD is often accompanied by low self esteem. Not a problem with that kid smile

B
    B
    We don't have that problem as my DS14 never chats with strangers. It takes him a while to warm up to anyone. We still have to push to get him to order his own meal at a restaurant.

Although I do have a few priceless memories of the preschool years. Like the time we were at the zoo looking at the apes, when a family came by and exclaimed how cute the monkeys were. The kid actually piped up that they were apes NOT monkeys because they didn't have tails.

H
    H
    I may be in the minority here but I tend more to the I'm so glad he has positive self-esteem side. So what if your little child responds to "You're really smart!" with "I am!". There is a difference in my mind in a young child responding with information to a question versus going on and on. I really don't want to be another voice telling him that his gift is something not to share. His differences are often glaring just opening his mouth which is why the questions usually start to begin with. I see his responses as age appropriate and try to treat them that way.

Aside from any disorders affecting social awareness,I believe that most kids start tempering this behavior on their own around 8 or so. If you have a pre-teen still not getting it then that would get my attention. My child who is definitely 2e ought to feel good and proud of the things that are unique about him. It is special to be who they are.

Last edited by HappilyMom; 04/30/13 05:35 AM.
    At the moment DS's responses tend to make me laugh, they are very blunt. The most typical comment he'll get is something along the lines of "Wow, you are so smart!" to which he replies "I know" and continues doing whatever he was doing. LoL.

~amy
    Originally Posted by CCN
    DS8 now emphatically states that "kids are smarter than adults!" He insists that he's smarter than his (non-gifted) Dad.

This makes me happy, actually, given the fact that ADHD is often accompanied by low self esteem. Not a problem with that kid smile

Believing in his own abilities is great, but not believing in his parents' abilities... not so much. An 8yo who is convinced his parents aren't very bright is likely to have anxiety issues if he thinks they're not capable of making good decisions that keep him safe and well cared for. He may perceive problems and be unable to be convinced when you tell him there's no reason to worry. So in your place, I wouldn't hold back from showing off a little.

G
    G
    I think you've gotten some great advice- so I don't have too much to add. But in our family I'd likely just try to keep the message simple. I probably would have said something along the lines of "when a stranger gives you a compliment, it is most polite to respond with a simple thank you." I've found that the more simple I keep it (no lengthy discussions of self-esteem or why his response was less than ideal) the more likely my literal kid is to get it right away and not start having an internal "was I bad?" dialogue with himself. YMMV.

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    ginaW~
    that is exactly what I was going to add! a simple "thank you" smile

This was an interesting thread to read... learning how to navigate social situations is what we are always working on.

but a stranger is a stranger is a stranger--- no matter WHAT they are asking/commenting on, and as a result DS6 has been taught to IGNORE strangers and to not respond. ie On a playground, he would just not acknowledge and it would appear probably to the person DS didn't hear...

However, in simple matter of a waitress serving us food etc,(yes, a stranger- but he is with us etc)~ he typically acknowledges with a sweet smile and/or thank you. done.

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

L
    L
    No advice to offer as I have a kid (DD3.5) who comes across as a complete goof ball in front of strangers and even company we know. Unless anyone asked her something that would clearly indicate that she knows way more than her age peers, you would meet a kid who is jumping off couches, running around in circles shouting like a maniac or telling poop jokes. smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM