Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    You know what really bothers me about all of this? The fact that it takes money - a decent amount of it - to be heard and/or get real accommodations for a child. If I didn't have the money to retain a lawyer I would have continued to be banned from communicating with the teachers and, probably, I eventually would have been banned from the school entirely if I didn't just shut up and take whatever they handed DS. NO one will get in trouble for a principal clearly "going off" and doing something pretty darn nasty and downright illegal because his absolute authority was perceived to be threatened. The only reason I get anywhere at all with these people is because I have the money to hire a lawyer. The threat of the inconvenience of a lawsuit was the only thing that had much effect. And I actually had to do that. They were clearly very comfortable with just ignoring me and letting Mr. Principal beat and bully me into submission. Not one of them was concerned about the child at issue.... not one. So people without the monetary means - their children just suffer. And they suffer. It makes me so sad. They get away with doing whatever they want to those people. All they care about are their egos, their power, etc. The teachers seem scared to death of the principal and now I see why. God only knows what he threatens them with if they get out of line. So, no one will get in trouble for their outrageous behavior. No one even cares that it is outrageous - they just cared about avoiding the expense and inconvenience of a lawsuit ... And this principal is suppose to be a "Christian" And he has all the kids singing the "golden rule" at assemblies... makes me want to vomit.

Last edited by Irena; 04/24/13 04:44 PM.
    AMEN to that. And unfortunately, as we're painfully well aware (bitter experience, to be blunt) it happens with other agencies/entities that flagrantly flout federal law and basically thumb their noses at you over it... because they genuinely believe themselves to be ABOVE the law. (No, they really do. I've heard them explain this to me.) They write their OWN rules.

{muttering}

I have a crap-list, all right, and I sure hope Karma is real. Because some of these organizations sure have some 'splaining to do. mad

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Glad things are much better, Irena.
    I totally agree with all that you have said in your post as well. Hopefully, going forward, things continue to go smoothly. Way to go !

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Irena
    The only reason I get anywhere at all with these people is because I have the money to hire a lawyer. The threat of the inconvenience of a lawsuit was the only thing that had much effect. And I actually had to do that. They were clearly very comfortable with just ignoring me and letting Mr. Principal beat and bully me into submission. Not one of them was concerned about the child at issue.... not one. So people without the monetary means - their children just suffer. And they suffer. It makes me so sad. They get away with doing whatever they want to those people. All they care about are their egos, their power, etc.

This injustice, particularly against low-SES children and families, makes me angry. It's a good example of how flagrantly administrators disregard the child.

Excuse my ignorance as a pre-school parent, but does the DYS consulting/advocacy provide for legal counsel to families who couldn't themselves afford a lawyer? If not, does anyone know of a charitable organization that does? If nobody covers that service, I would be interested in exploring how to make financing available to affected families.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM